Give it a Shot

The sky was already dark when Seonghwa stepped out of the school gates. His after-school elite classes went on longer than usual, so he set off on his way home by himself.

Instead of taking the bus or being picked up by a family member, Seonghwa liked to walk home whenever he had the chance, even though his home was 20 minutes away. It gave him time to relax, to pay attention to the smaller things around him.

And sometimes, he got to notice things other people couldn't.

On this particular day, he spotted a familiar figure sitting alone on a gently swaying swing. It was too dark to make out the details, but Seonghwa was fairly certain the boy was wearing the same uniform as his.

As if they had a will on their own, Seonghwa's legs started towards the park entrance, and as he got closer, he realized that the boy was Jongho.

After hesitating for a split second, Seonghwa decided to sit on the only other empty swing. Jongho look up to see who had interrupted his alone time, and the moment he caught the glimmer of Seonghwa's glasses - mirroring that of Seonghwa's dark orbs - he turned away, uncomfortable under the gaze.

"Why are you here?" Jongho mumbled, frustrated. First Yunho, now him, too?

Seonghwa was quiet for a second. "I feel like I should apologize."

Jongho raised an eyebrow, but kept his back to Seonghwa. "For what?"

"First, on behalf of my friends, the attitude they gave you this morning. They aren't usually like that, I promise. Second, I'm sorry for staring at you sometimes. It's a habit I can't seem to get rid of; once I'm interested in something, I won't stop looking for answers until I'm satisfied."

Abruptly, Jongho spun around, mildly abashed but also incredulous. He thought he heard wrong. "You're interested in me? What, am I like an object for you to admire? An exhibition in a museum?"

Seonghwa remained calm, his expression placid. After some thought, he came to the conclusion that he had to be straightforward with Jongho. Small talk had no effect on impulsive people.

"We met before, Jongho."

Jongho froze up, but quickly hid his surprise with another mocking sneer. "What are you talking about? Maybe you should go home."

"No, Jongho. Try to remember." Seonghwa pushed himself lightly off the sand-filled ground so that he was swinging a little, to remind Jongho that their first encounter was also at a swing set.

Jongho scoffed. "Who are you to tell me what to do? Just go home, I beg you. Leave me alone."

"There it is again."

"What?"

"'Leave me alone.' You said it multiple times before." Seonghwa was now full-on swinging, and sometimes we went up so high that Jongho had to strain his ears in order to hear the words. "Why do you want others to leave you so much? Is that why you don't have friends?"

That made Jongho stand up, flaming with anger. "Mind your own business. Who do you think you are? We barely just met!"

"I told you already, we knew each other before. We were probably five or six years old, and I was sure you and Yunho already became close friends."

Jongho faltered at the mention of Yunho. It wasn't like Seonghwa would drag Yunho, his friend, into this mess.

When Jongho continued to be speechless, Seonghwa stopped swinging and watched Jongho quietly. "Why are you here, Jongho? Shouldn't you go home?"

Jongho sat back down, defeated and tired, but he didn't want to go home - he couldn't, not yet. He couldn't begin to think what kind of tragedy he would bring home to his mother. In response, he only shook his head.

"Did you argue with your parents?" Seonghwa ventured carefully, afraid to go too fast. He was almost there. If he failed now, Jongho would surely run away.

Jongho shook his head. "I just can't. I..."

"What is it? Why can't you go home? Why do you keep pushing Yunho - or anyone - away? Maybe I can-" Seonghwa almost said help, but that would be a mistake. He started over. "The thing that's on your mind, bothering you so much... I don't know what is it, or whether it's a problem you can solve with just a little bit of help. But if you'd like, I'll be here to listen."

Seonghwa held his breath as the silence stretched on. The only occasional sound was the one or two cars zooming past on the main road. Jongho's eyes were shut, as if he was holding back tears.

Finally, with a very soft voice, Jongho said, "people get hurt around me."

Seonghwa, who was unconsciously leaning towards Jongho all this time, leaned back now. It was close to the answer he was expecting, if not the exact one. Three times he witnessed Yunho getting into accidents, and three times Jongho was the cause. But from Jongho's tone, it was evident that Yunho wasn't the only victim, and the explanation was definitely not as simple as "he's just clumsy".

"I'm sorry," Jongho added, before Seonghwa could think of the next thing to say. His eyes widened at the sudden apology. "I shouldn't have shouted at your friend today. But... I can't risk making friends... not after what happened when I was younger. No matter what, accidents continue to happen, and they end up despising me. So wouldn't it be better if I remained a stranger with everyone else?"

Seonghwa chose to keep quiet, not because he didn't know what to say, but because he was ruminating. Jongho lifted his head, as if only noticing the presence of another person. "I've stayed here too long. Don't get close to me anymore. Good-"

"How about Yunho?" Seonghwa interrupted, not letting Jongho leave just yet.

"What do you mean? He's no different, so please tell him to stop bothering me. One day he, too, will get into an accident." Jongho shouldered his backpack, turning to the park gates.

"He already did, though."

Jongho paused, his fists closing tight around the straps. Seonghwa took this chance to catch up, and he blocked Jongho's path.

"That's not what I meant, Jongho. You don't have to be afraid of hanging around Yunho, because nothing ever happened to him." Jongho tried to make his way past, but Seonghwa was always one step ahead. His gaze grew more intense, and Jongho had no choice but to return the eye contact.

"Think about it, he never got hurt - not in the cafeteria, not in the corridor, not in the play--" Seonghwa stopped himself. "Anyways, I'm just saying that... maybe this time it won't be a problem. Yunho likes you, he wants to be your friend. Give it a shot, and you might get a friend."

Jongho looked away. Seonghwa already stepped to the side, so he was free to go, but something glued his feet to the ground. Something Seonghwa said kept echoing in his mind.

He wants to be your friend.

Finally, Jongho gave one last glance to Seonghwa, bit his lip, and headed home.

--

Author's Note:

Why did Jongho bite his lip? Was he about to cry? Was he angry? Sad? Stick around to find out!

Remember to vote if you liked it!

- Nerdy Giraffe