[Chapter 5] ✙ A Heart Full of Tombs

"You okay?"

Once again, that same bandaged hand popped into her peripheral vision.

"Yeah, thanks," Eden murmured, taking Newt's offer as he helped her up the slippery slope.

After navigating their way out of the city and towards the outskirts of town, the group was now, once again, trying to scale a massive sand dune. From climbing up the escalators in the mall to crawling up heaps of sand. So far, the Scorch felt like nothing but constant uphill battles, both physically and metaphorically.

Once they arrived at the top of the hill, Thomas stopped.

"Those mountains, that's gotta be it," He said, shielding his eyes with one hand as the other pointed towards the rough outlines in the distance. "That's where we're going."

Newt peered down, studying the vast stretches of desert that separated them from their destination. "That's a long way off." He noted.

"Then we better get moving," Minho swallowed, readjusting his pack on his shoulder.

Just as everyone began taking their first steps forward, Winston suddenly collapsed, crashing face-first into the desert sand as he began to slide downhill.

"Winston!" Eden was the first to react, grabbing onto his body so he wouldn't tumble any further as she cupped her hand under his head. "Winston? Can you hear me?" She cried as the others crowded around him.

Receiving no verbal response, Eden rushed to flip the injured boy onto his back. A loud wheeze croaked out of his throat as he began to pant in shallow breaths. His chest rising and falling rapidly as if he were desperately trying to grasp for oxygen. She brought her index and middle to his wrist, checking his pulse.

She should've known he wasn't going to say anything.

"Thomas, he can't walk anymore," Eden informed, glancing up at their Leader anxiously.

Hearing her verdict, Teresa looked towards Thomas as well. "What should we do?" She asked.

"We've gotta carry him," Thomas almost immediately replied, scanning the vicinity before spotting a nearby pile of rubble. "Aris, Minho and I will go look for some scraps and supplies. Newt, Frypan, you two stay behind. Try to make some kind of stretcher for him out of the materials we find." He instructed, receiving nods from the boys before turning to the two girls. "Teresa, Eden, you two stay back and keep an eye on Winston."

Eden nodded, immediately dropping her backpack and pulling out some water for the olive-skinned boy to drink. She couldn't help but notice the black, vine-like veins that extended beneath the skin on his forehead as she brought the bottle closer to his mouth. She then moved to check on his wound, finding that it was still bleeding. There were little spots of red that had managed to soak through the gauze roll, but not enough to justify a new dressing just yet.