07 ⟩ I forgot where we hid the body

CHAPTER SEVEN — ❛ I FORGOT WHERE WE HID THE BODY ❜

They say that only in death, you see your life for what it truly was. Some people waste a lot of time looking at screens, chasing undeserving lovers and fake laughing at bad jokes. It's the polite thing to do and keeping up appearances helps for smooth sailing through society. It might not make us happy, but it's part of human nature to look for imperfections in everything, want to be loved and always yearn for more, even if we aren't completely sure what exactly we want or what it even is that we're missing. Our hearts are just tormented by this undefinable longing that never gets fully satisfied. We forget that in the end, it won't matter and we will all die the same. 

I tried to hide from my childhood memories, but they always found me, in the darkest parts of my nightmares. The trauma left me suspicious of everyone and everything, as if the danger might return at any moment, in any person. And she did. Navi always came back and I had to destroy a lot of things, including parts of my own self, to realise that I was no longer fighting just for my sister, but also a murderer who had taken someone's life away.

Murderer and sister - those were both parts of her true self and there was only one that I loved, but it was starting to get consumed by the other. Little by little, the darkness was winning. 

How to spit out the emotions that you don't need?

A year ago, I would've never pictured my life like this. I wasn't one to follow a clear and stable path, but I still didn't think that I would ever take a turn so wrong, that I'd get lost way beyond the point of ever being found again.

Navi once told me that there was no murder without a body and now here I was, following her teachings and adapting them to my situation. Only that instead of getting rid of a corpse, I was preparing to steal police evidence. 

The vending machine beeped as it finished preparing another cheap caffeinated drink and the detectives carried on with their pointless midday conversations. No one spared me a second glance when they saw me rush down the hallway of the police station and head towards the underground evidence storage rooms. I didn't have the keys to open them, but in my distressed state, I didn't even think twice before I punched the glass on the door, reached through the opening and turned the lock on the other side.

With a heavy heart and bloodied hands, I searched through boxes of old evidence until I found the packet cocaine that could put Navi's friend in prison. My phone kept buzzing in my pocket, like a silent warning of the punishment for my actions, but I stubbornly ignored it. I knew that my mistakes were severe, but I wasn't prepared to abandon my sister. When saying goodbye would be the only option left, only then I would let her go.

My heart almost stopped when I suddenly heard the sound of Mina's voice. She was right outside of the evidence storage room, speaking to one of the cleaners of the police station. '' Have you seen Kim Chito? I'm looking for her. She's one of the rookie detectives from the violent crimes department. You can't miss her. Short, dark hair, green army jacket. She also has this unmistakable stupid look on her face- ''