Ethics

Adrian sat at the desk after fetching an apple and a Kit Kat from the table of snacks at the back of the room, as well as a cup of water from the water cooler.

The doctor sat opposite him, not eating anything. "We're making good time with this. As I said we've only got one more test to do and then you're done."

"Sounds good." Adrian said, then decided this was a good time to ask some questions about the study. "So...what is this study actually about? Like what's it for? Is everyone else here doing the same things as I am?"

The handsome doctor glanced up from his notes, then put them aside entirely. "Not all the participants are doing the same tests as you are. Everyone gets the baseline test and the palm test, but the other two are randomly picked from a range of different tests. So you got the box for test #2, but someone else might never get the box, you get it?"

"Sure. If you don't mind my saying so that doesn't sound very...scientific. Wouldn't it be better for all the participants to do the same test to you can compare results?"

"Normally, yes, but there are so many young men taking part in this study that it's actually more effective if we split the number up into groups. So for example you're in Tranch #7. Everyone in #7 is doing the same tests as you, but all the numbers above and below you are doing different ones." The doctor explained in a very doctory way.

Adrian nodded along, paused, and then struck. "And what if this study really about? You haven't answered that one yet." He cocked an eyebrow cheekily. He could see the cogs whirring in his peer's mind, deciding whether or not to answer his question. The doctor sighed after a few moments.

"Ok look. I'm definitely not supposed to be telling you this, like super duper not meant to be telling you, but you seem like a good guy and I don't think you're gonna do anything stupid with what I tell you. Is that the case?"

Adrian sat back in his chair, a cheeky smirk on his beautiful face. "Depends on what the answer is."

The doctor still looked serious. "Really though. I need you to promise you won't tell a soul what I'm about to tell you, ok?"

"Okay. I won't."

Dr Maple took a deep breath. "So you know how President Sanders abolished torture like the second he got sworn in?"

Adrian's smirk faltered a bit. "Yeah..."

"Well that put the CIA in a bit of a pickle, as they were quite fond of torture. So they hired Hebrides to carry out tests and studies on this new form of 'torture' they could use on prisoners that wouldn't break the Geneva convention or Sanders' new laws."

The man in the grey clothes sat up in his chair, eyebrows knitted in puzzlement. "You're trying to tell me the CIA are seriously considering tickling as a form of torture?"

"Yes. Why do you think the reward for taking part is so high? They've got a federal budget to blow."

"Fuck. And I'm a part of the study, I guess?"

"Yes."

"Holy shit. That's...I mean that's pretty crazy...but I guess I'm already here, and it won't actually be causing people harm..."

"That's how I justify it. It's actually better we let them use this instead of them just using good old fashion torture off the books."

"That makes sense..." Adrian nodded, processing the information. He ditched his apple halfway through and ripped open the Kit Kat, practically swallowing it whole. Turns out the information was pretty fucking hard to process. The CIA? He was being used as a guinea pig for a new form of torture? What kind of fever dream had he stumbled into? His morals wrestled each other. On the one hand, the CIA had a dark history and wasn't really an institution that Adrian wanted to be a part of, no matter how vicariously. But on the other hand, as the doctor had said, if tickling god approved as a new, humane and effective interrogation technique then he'd have been a part of preventing off the books torture and abuse. The battle was fierce but, in the end, he decided that being a part of the study was a dubious means to a positive end, and that worked for him.

The pair sat in silence for a few minutes, the doctor going back to his notes before it got too awkward. Adrian was happy to sit there for a while longer; more time sitting meant less time getting the shit tickled out of him.

The doctor glanced at his watch. "You ready for Test #3?"

"Ready as I'll ever be."

"Good. Now, this one's gonna need a little bit of explaining..."