11: ELEVEN

TRIGGER WARNING: im a dumb bitch and forgot how traumatic the following can be for some women. Miscarriage trigger

About a week later, Marisol walked into work, followed by her bodyguards as usual. She walked into her office and was met by Emilia. They quickly began working. At some point, Marisol's stomach turned. She closed her eyes, attempting to keep her lunch down.

"Whoah, are you okay?"

Marisol nodded at Abigail. "Yeah, sorry, I'm fine." Marisol opened her eyes and returned to work. Only a few minutes passed before she felt a sharp pain in her abdomen. She stood up then, feeling liquid soak her underwear. She excused herself and ran to the bathroom.

"No, no, no," she chanted as she entered the bathroom. Her stomach cramped, and she had to stop and bend down to get through it. As she shut the stall door and pulled down her underwear, her heart broke. She was bleeding. What did that mean? She knew what that meant– was she miscarrying? It felt like she was.

She wasn't even far along, but she teared up. She was pregnant, and she lost it. She cried, but silenced herself, hearing the bathroom door open. Someone used the stall beside her and then left only for the door to open again.

"Marisol?"

That was Abigail.

"Are you crying? What happened? Marisol, let me in."

Marisol unlocked the door and allowed Abigail to see the tears down her face. Marisol shook her head, biting her lip.

"Oh, Marisol, what happened?"

"I-I'm bleeding..."

"What do you mean–" her eyes widened as she realized. "Oh Goddess, we have to get you to the doctors. Come, sweetie."

"I-I don't know what I did. I promise I didn't do anything I shouldn't have."

"We don't know what's happening. It could be nothing."

"Abigail," Marisol said, grabbing her arm. "I'm bleeding."

She nodded solemnly. "I know," she responded. She helped Marisol out of the bathroom and back to her office. Both Nolan and Abigail immediately brought her to the car, where she explained what happen to Nolan.

"Can you guys do me a favor? Could you not tell Grey. If something did go wrong, I want to tell him."

"We should tell him we are taking you to the doctor."

"No, he'll just worry. I promise I will tell him. Please, guys.

"Alright," they agreed. When they arrived at the doctor's office, Dr. Meredith was already waiting by the door when they got to her office. She quickly herded Marisol into an exam room where she asked Marisol to lay down on the bed. Meredith lifted Marisol's blouse and started an ultrasound.

Marisol looked the opposite way of the screen. She knew she miscarried– it was just her luck. She couldn't even do a biological function. After a minute, Meredith cleared her throat.

"Marisol?"

"Just say it," she said, tearing up again.

"Marisol," she said again. Marisol squeezed her eyes together, and reluctantly turned to the doctor.

"There's no heartbeat, nor can you see its figure. It's inconclusive. "

Marisol simply nodded. She was afraid if she said anything, she'd cry.

"We have to do a blood test to confirm." Meredith stood up and removed her gloves. She allowed Nolan and Abigail to come back in and sit with her as she took blood. "The test will take about an hour. Would you like to stay here and wait or receive a call?"

"If I can stay here, I'd like to."

Meredith nodded with a reassuring smile. Marisol looked at Nolan and Abigail. "You guys don't have to stay. I'll be fine."

Nolan stood up and grabbed Marisol's hand while Abigail grabbed her other one. "We're staying," Nolan ordered.

"Yeah, we'd never leave you."

Marisol looked at them through her tears. "Thanks, you guys."

"Do you need anything? Any water?"

Marisol nodded at Abigail. She left to get some water, leaving Nolan and Marisol alone. "Can I ask a question?"

"What's up?"

"Have you and Grey been friends for long?"

"Yes," he responded, smiling.

"If I...if I did miscarry, what do you think he'd do?"

"What do you mean?" Nolan readjusted his posture. "What do you think he'd do?"

"He chose me to have his child and if I can't do that..."

"Marisol, if you think he would ever choose another surrogate, you're wrong. I think you mean more to him than you think."

"Do you think he'd be mad? Would you be mad?"

"It's not your fault, Marisol. Believe that. You did absolutely nothing wrong. Greyson would be sad more than anything, but he'd be keen to try again."

After about forty-five minutes, Meredith came in and sat down in front of Marisol. She had a file in her hand that was closed. She smiled softly.

"You didn't miscarry, Marisol. Many women spot during the first trimester."

"W-what are you saying?"

Meredith's smile widened. "Congratulations, you're pregnant."

"