Chapter 9 - Signs

Jason's POV
__________

Suspicions have been rising since the incident yesterday. Well, I wouldn't call it an incident, but I saw something. I will find out what Kelli is up to and what she is hiding.

I saw her walking the other way to Physical Science as I passed her to go to ELA. She was looking straight ahead with a worried look on her face. She looked my way whenever she heard the slightest sound come from Mary, Allie, and me.

I looked back and Mary noticed. "What's the hassle?" She asked. "There was a little incident with Kelli." I said. "I was just kidding with her because of her 'homework problem.' I was just faking a punch, but she grabbed my arm and squeezed it so hard that I was paralyzed."

"What else happened?" Mary asked. "Her eyes changed color." I said. She looked at me puzzled. "What color?" She asked. "Yellow." I said. "Bright yellow. I had to stop her, because it felt like she was going to break my arm."

Suddenly, a worried look spread across her face.

....

Mary's POV
_________

Right when he told me, I thought about Kelli. No. I thought. He must not know this. I sped up ahead of him as I ran up the stairs to Mrs. D's room.

I quickly got out my iPad and texted Kelli.

Mary: Hey. Jason is onto you.

Kelli: ?

Mary: I heard everything. He told me about yesterday.

Kelli: oh god.

Mary: Ya.

Kelli: gtg. The bell is going to ring. See you at lunch.

Mary: K. Bye.

The bell rang for block B. Talk about boring. I almost fell asleep the first ten minutes.

The class ended about, well, I don't keep track of time. I grabbed my books and I wandered to my next class, Spanish.

I passed Kelli, who is going to French. "What do you got?" I asked. "French." Kelli said with a smile. "Have fun." Jason said. Kelli laughed as I watched her go into the classroom.

....

Kelli's POV
_________

Current Time - 8:43 am.

I managed to get in the door right when the second bell rang. "About time, Kelli." Said a classmate, Killian. The other two boys, Mark, and Thomas were there. "Mr. Glynn didn't let us out." I whined. "We couldn't hear the fucking bell." Abby came in and she heard me. "Yeah." She said. "Listen to Kelli."

We sat down as we went over conjugating venir which means 'to come.' We went over stress pronouns, such as moi, toi, lui, elle, nous, vous, eux, and elles.

We finished our activity and Mrs. Hassett-sally wasn't in the room. I just sat there. "Abby, I bet you are cheating off of Kelli!" Thomas said. "I'm already done." Abby said. I laughed as I closed my textbook.

The bell rang for break.

Current time 11:22

ELA and Technology ended. We were halfway through the day. I walked to the cafeteria with Mary and Allie. "What was that all about?" Allie asked. "Oh it was nothing." Mary said. "But I heard Kelli's name." Allie said. "Tell me."

There I was looking at Mary and then Allie. Mary again then Allie. Oh crap. The signs. I thought. Two people are onto me now.

I speed walked into the cafeteria. "Kelli!" Allie called. "Where are you going?" I didn't answer. I just put my bag on the chair and got in line to buy lunch. I picked up a buffalo chicken.

However, right when I touched it, a headache came on. I winced in pain. "Are you okay, Kelli?" Allie asked. "Yeah." I said. "I'm fine. Just another migraine." She looked at me harder. "Doubt it." She said. "You were like this yesterday. Admit it. You weren't yourself that day. You weren't acting human."

"I'm fine." I said firmly. Allie seemed shocked, because my eyes slightly stung. "Yellow!" She screamed. "Shut up." I demanded. "Just shut up." I walked to a lunch lady and bought my lunch. A buffalo chicken sandwich and a blue powerade.

I sat at the table to see Allie whispering in Jason's ear. He nodded. They were both looking at me strangely. I shot them a glare. Their eyes widened. I was confused, so I got out my iPad. I looked into the screen and my eyes were flickering yellow. Then after thirty seconds, they stayed yellow. My eyes widened. My mouth dropped. I looked to see my canines slowly emerging. I yelped and bit into my sandwich and shut up.

Allie's POV
_________

"Did you see that?" I whispered to Jason. "Yeah." He said. "I saw the whole thing. The yelp, the eyes, everything. I think we found the answer."

I thought so.