Friends

The sun had risen not long ago, and Kageyama was on his way to the field. He and Hinata had exchanged emails, and Hinata sent him the exact location of the volleyball court. He took a breath, and watched the clouds move along as he made his way there, it was fascinating, he was so used to the constant twilight of the Devil Kingdom.

Hinata was already at the court and stretching. "Hey Kageyama", Hinata picked up a ball, "Toss to me!". Kageyama felt the warmness of the boy reflect on to him, and he felt an unusual nervous sensation form in his stomach. 

At first, the tosses didn't work. Kageyama would toss them in the optimal location for spiking, but Hinata, although athletic and fast, didn't seem to be hitting them. "Hinata, you're hitting them wrong" said Kageyama, eyeing the smaller boy for any injuries or defects. "I'm not! It's just when you toss them, I look at the ball and I can't predict when it's going to be in front of me". Kageyama looked to Hinata, and then to the ball, and back to Hinata, "Then don't focus on the ball, I'll make sure the ball is where it needs to be". Hinata looked at him as if he was stupid, but quickly changed his expression to a realisation. 

A nod from Hinata called for another toss and Kageyama watched as he started his run up. It was almost in slow motion when he watched Hinata sprint, hair radiating in the sun, being pushed back by the wind. Surprise overtook Kageyama, his eyes focused on Hinata's, which were no longer open. Was he jumping blindly? The ball was tossed and the world snapped back to normal speed, the ball leaving a cloud of dust from the force of being spiked into the concrete. 

Kageyama came out of his trance, "Did you just spike with your eyes closed?!". Hinata beamed, not picking up on Kageyama's slight annoyance, "Yeah! You said to not focus on the ball, but I knew if I kept my eyes open I would just end up looking at the ball. You said you would bring it directly to me and it worked! Pretty neat huh?" he said, panting from the spikes. Kageyama felt a vein pop as he tried to keep his fury under control, "You can't guide the ball like that! How can you trust someone 100%, that's not how hum- people, work". 

Hinata sat down in a grass spot nearby to catch his breath, his sweat made him shinHe against the morning sunlight, "I think trust is pretty neat. It's the thing that forms friendships and love and family". Kageyama raised his eyebrow, did all humans talk like this? It seemed as if Hinata was a character in a fan fiction and the writer needed some sort of a transition into Hinata talking about a romanticised view on the world and this was the best they could come up with. But before he could continue this odd train of thought, his eyes focus on Hinata, who was now lying down on the grass, looking up at the clouds, "Look! That one looks like a volleyball!". 

Kageyama looked up, "It's just a circular cloud". Hinata looked over at Kageyama and stuck his tongue out, "Party pooper". The warmth he felt in his stomach before came back, "Why do you do that, why do you care about things that don't matter at all" he asked, partially because of his assignment, partially because he was curious. Hinata rolled over to his stomach and observed a nearby ant hill, "I just like it here, it's so different than my old home. We weren't poor or anything, but it just seems so much more free here. The people here are real. If I make a mistake or make someone mad, they won't smile at me as if they didn't care, they tell me what they really think, and I like that I guess". 

Kageyama was intrigued. This human was so much more different than the others. He walked over to Hinata, to help him up, but he stepped a little too close to his face and a cloud of dust threw Hinata into a coughing fit. Kageyama panicked and tried swatting the dust away with his hand, "I'LL GET YOU SOME WATER". Hinata pulled a tissue out from his back pocket and Kageyama ran to their bags to get water. As he was coming back, he watched as Hinata gave a final cough into the tissue with a flinch, almost as if he was in pain. "Hey, are you okay?" asked Kageyama. Hinata looked at the tissue and frantically put it back in his pocket, "Y-yeah! Thanks for the water!". He took the bottle out of Kageyama's hand and drank. Kageyama offered him a hand to get up. 

He noticed the bracelet on Hinata's arm. It had a blue crystal embedded in a dark metal. It reminded him of his necklace, "Hey, where did you get your bracelet?". Hinata looked at the ground, "Oh, I found it in one of my dad's collections. He's into jewellery". It wasn't from the Devil Kingdom, all of their crystals were red. He didn't know why he even asked.

The pair continued to hang out in the following days. They spent their time training, and usually went to a coffee shop or a place to eat afterwards. They were so different, but Kageyama didn't mind. Hinata made a great subject to study. They talked about sports and techniques, but they also talked about the people at school. The conversations also often consisted of Kageyama asking more direct questions, such as what the latest trend was among teenagers, and to his surprise, Hinata didn't seem weirded out. His manager told him to not ask questions like this, but they were working, so what harm could it do?

His mornings and afternoons were taken up by school on weekdays and with Hinata on weekends, but at night's he would go to his earth house and use his necklace to go home. He'd make sure his curtains were drawn, and a chant would be said that sent a blinding beam of light to come from the crystal around his neck. When Kageyama opened his eyes again, he would find himself back in the Devil Kingdom. He hung out with his friend's there, and reported any information for the assignment to his work building. He didn't have family, only royalty cared about blood relation. Everyone else made their own family with friends. He liked his life here, but he often found himself thinking about Hinata and the human world. It wasn't what he was used to, but he liked that life too.