1- Summer Break

Dahlia Jade was an okay name for an okay girl in an okay family. The Galways were currently vacationing in their friend's rental house for a while. They went every year and helped out with the place when the Conners weren't around. People said that the Outer Banks was a somewhat quiet place, filled with tourists in the seasons and kept the locals busy. 
   Jade was a preferred over Dahlia, or both was fine. She learned not to care much or even correct sometimes. Her sister Regina had an easier name that wasn't a mouthful and she seemed to be a lot more popular than she was. Every time they went to Outer Banks, Regina would hang out with her many friends and Jade would hang out with her few friends. But at the end of the day, both sisters found that having each other as best friends was just enough. 
   "Dahlia Jade, wake up," Regina shakes her rapidly. "We're here." 
   Their vacation house was also the Conners' second house whenever they could escape their home in Albany. Ian Galway and Jim Conner were friends since college/university, and Jim and his family didn't have the time to stay there when they were traveling to other countries. So they left their house to the Galways with a big discount, making it the Galways' third annual trip to the island. 
   The house stands with gray-blue paint with white trim, like a southern manor style mixed with a tropical bungalow. Stone steps led up to the front door made of polished oak, and trestles with pale flowers climbed up the back of the home that was a distance from the water. The Galway's car pulls up to the curb beside the hand-painted mailbox with little kid handprints in multi colors. It showed how down-to-earth the Conners really were, unlike their surrounding neighbors. 
   "Home sweet home, for now," Jade mumbles, stepping out of their black Forerunner. 
   "Negativity stage one upgraded to negativity stage two," Regina notes. 
   "Girls, no fighting," their mom, Halle orders. She was tall and pretty, and both girls seemed to follow her looks. But it splintered off when it came to personality and behavior. 
   "Cape Cod is much more expensive these days, so be lucky that we got this far," Ian tells them. 
   Jade glances down at her phone that she takes out from her jean-short's pocket. "Sam texted me, he's..." 
   "Right here. How's it going, Jade?" 
   "Sam!" Jade goes over to hug him, "how are you?" 
   "Better now that I don't have to hear Candice talk to me endlessly about what we're going to do when you come." 

Sam grins and waves, "hi Mr and Mrs Galway. Hey Regina." 
   "Long time no see," Regina greets him. "Dahlia Jade, you dropped your suitcase and I'm not picking it up for you." 
   "Will you excuse me while I put my bags in the house and try not to attack my sister?" Jade lugs her suitcase up the pathway. 
   "Um, sure. I'll still be here," Sam says. 
   Jade rushes back outside and jams her phone into her pocket. "Alright, all set. Where to?" 
   "You think Candice and I have something planned?" 
   "No. I just want to go somewhere." 
   They begin walking towards the downtown area. 
   "I'm joking. We actually do have something planned. Maybe a trip to The Wreck for some smoothies? Or visiting the Boneyard? Or maybe terrorize the Kooks?" 
   "Okay, that's dumb. Who came up with that name in the first place?" 
   "Hey I don't make the rules. I may be classified as one because my dad is one of the managers of a company and we somehow live here, but I'm not a Kook." 
   "Whatever, Mister Moneybags," a voice laughs. A girl with chopped very dirty-blond hair jogs up to them and pushes her sunglasses up over her forehead. "No love for me, Jade Garden?" 
   "Hey Candice," Jade hugs her. "Where did you come from?" 
   "I hopped a fence but don't tell anyone. You're living in style again, huh? Lucky. I'm still considered a Pogue." 
   "Pogue's a group, not a lifestyle," Sam reminds her. 
   "JJ seems to think so." 
   "JJ smokes weed." 
   "Its tobacco, for your information. And no, I don't join him." 
   "I didn't say you did, but thanks for clarifying." 
   "Are we seriously arguing about what the locals do in their spare time?" Jade asks. "Lets do something fun." 
   "As long as we don't go for too long. My mom's been worried about hurricane Agatha." 
   "What?" 
   "Don't tell me your parents didn't check the news or anything." 
   "They probably did, but I didn't. When's it supposed to come?" 
   "A day or so, maybe two. The waves are getting pretty high." 
   "It doesn't work like that, Candy," Sam states. "That's for tsunamis." 
   "Well, as long as we have time together before everything goes to shit, we're fine." 
   "I think we're going to have time together after this is done," Jade points out. 
   "With that said, I could go for an iced coffee at The Wreck." 
   "I'm paying," Sam announces. "Smoothies or milkshakes, Jade?" 
   "Raspberry and strawberry smoothies are the best, are you kidding?" Jade grins. 
   "I don't know how you can drink that on a sunny summer day," Candice shakes her head. 
   "I don't know how you can drink coffee when you're already hyper." 
   "ADHD." 
   Sam rolls his eyes, "you don't have ADHD." 
   "I just haven't been tested yet, Romeo." 
   Jade raises an eyebrow, "Romeo?" 
   "I auditioned for 'Romeo and Juliet' to get more shows under my belt." 
   "Tell her your marvelous idea," Candice suggests. 

She brings her sunglasses over her eyes again. "She's gonna love it." 
   "What's up?" the brunette asks. 
   "I thought that you'd like an acting project this summer, so I sent in an audition video for you." 
   "Where did you get an audition video from...? Oh God, you sent the 'Tracks' one didn't you?" 
   "Hey it was a good performance." 
   "I was the Nun." 
   "You had a standing ovation at the end of the production. The casting director actually sent me an email about your part." 
   "And what did they cast me as?" 
   "Juliet." 
   "They got that out of my crappy performance?" Jade blinks. "You've got to be joking." 
   "I'm not." 
   "Dudes, that means you have to do a lot of kissing," Candice points out. "Totally gross." 
   "Are you five?" Sam asks. 
   "I know its acting, but that's very awkward when you're so far into the friendzone. Like disgustingly awkward." 
   "So are you going to take the role?" Sam asks Jade. 
   "When do rehearsals start? I'd hate for your work to go to waste." 
   "Its not going to waste either way." 
   "In the case, I'll take it," she smiles. "Thanks, Sam." 
   "Ladies and gentlemen," Candice crows, "in all its glory. I give you, The Wreck." 
   "She works part-time there now," Sam tells Jade. 
   "Just part-time?" the brunette questions. 
   "Hey I've got other stuff to do," Candice replies. "They pay well. Ten bucks an hour once the tourists roll in." 
   "Alright, Candice, you're on Jade duty while I go get food." 
   "Who said I needed to be babysat?" Jade asks Sam. 
   "No can do. I've got to waz," Candice pats Jade on top of the head. Sam and Candice enter the building, leaving Jade to look at the harbor in front of her. 

An objects sails by her head and a group races by laughing their heads off. "Dude, you missed the garbage," one of the boys says.
   "Whatever, man. Close enough," the blond boy replies. "Just get Kie before we leave." He sprints away and the darker-skinned boy follows him. They were a wild bunch. Sam had told her about a group of kids like them. 
   "Are you guys the Pogues or something?" Jade asks, somewhat bothered by their chaos. 
    "Yeah, we are," the remaining boy responds. "We kind of run the streets, but no ones really knows it."
   "Ah, I see. So you're the troublemakers and sometimes assholes of the island?"
   "Where are you from?" he seems to gain some sort of interest in her. His hair is grown out like his other friend, with an unbuttoned summery shirt. 
   "New England."
   "No wonder why you're so snippy."
   "Well, throwing trash over people's head will get that reaction."
   "Do you live around here?"
   Jade crinkles her brow a little. He was asking a lot of questions, but she felt like she had heard or seen him before. "Something like that."
   "Why'd your parents want to move here?"
   "We didn't move, we're vacationing. Why do you want to know so much?"
   "I was told that everyone's a stranger until you get to know them."
   "Did you get that from 'Forrest Gump'? I don't have time to chat."
   "You know that you're the one who started talking, right?"
   "I don't know you too well, so we're technically still strangers," Jade heads for the restaurant's door.
   "For starters, my name's John B."
    The name rang a bell. "I've heard of you. My sister, Regina, has friends who know you. You seem to be popular in this place."
   "Dahlia Galway isn't?"
   "How'd you know that?" she asks cautiously. 
   "I just guessed base off of what the Kooks said."
   "Dahlia Jade Galway is just a nobody until she makes a name for herself. I think the question you should be asking is, who is John Routledge."
   "John Booker Routledge." He pauses and shields his eyes from the sun, "how often do you come down here?"
   "Why do you want to know?"
   "I distinctly remember you being the one starting this conversation. Now look who's asking most of the questions."
   "Goodbye John B."
   "You sound as if this is the last time we're going to talk."
   "It might. Bye." Jade walks into The Wreck and finds Sam standing at the counter. 
   The girl at the counter, whose their age, hands him his change. "There you go, Sam." 
   "Thanks, Kiara," Sam replies. "Where are you off to in a hurry?" 
   "Pogue stuff." Kiara darts out through the double doors and meets up with John B outside. 
   Sam just shakes his head, "unbelievable. They get into so much trouble." 
   "I can tell," Jade nods. 

Author's Note
So that's the mini intro to the Pogues and an idea of who Jade and her friends are. There's sort of a clash between Jade's friends and the two social groups on the island. 

If you guys like Obx, I highly suggest Hollywood. There are hot guys (and girls if you're into that) everywhere. Darren Criss, Jeremy Pope and David Corenswet is totally amazing and gorgeous. I arrest my case. 

If you liked this part, be sure to give it a vote! Byeeeeeee! 

   ~ SHIELD-Avenger