𝘛𝘶𝘳𝘲𝘶𝘰𝘪𝘴𝘦 𝘊𝘶𝘳𝘪𝘰𝘴𝘪𝘵𝘺

It's been a couple days now at Hollywood Arts. I know where my classes are, I know where the lunch area is, I've made some friends everywhere I've gone (thank goodness).

But I haven't seen André yet.

See, because Acting isn't as big a thing to me as Fashion is I only have acting classes every few days; my school life since my first day has been taken up with Pattern Analysis and Sewing Seminars and Shop Skills. And on top of that, I need to find a musical instrument to learn. I haven't really had time to try and find the dark-skinned boy who held my hand whilst helping guide me throughout the school.

Spotting my friends from Shop - Delilah showed me how to use their new mannequins and then introduced me to everyone - I wave in the queue for the Grub truck and they all wave back. The guy in front takes his food and I step up to greet Festus.
"Hello Festus!"
The tall brash man snaps back with a grimace, "Hello. Why do you always say hello, I wonder?"
I furrow my brows a little. "What do you mean? Um, please can I have-?"
"Burrito with Blueberry Blix drink, I know!" he shouts into the van to someone who doesn't seem to be inside, then starts to make them while still talking to me. "You always say 'hello' to me, then 'hi' to anyone who says 'hi' to you. Why is that?"
"I... um, I-"

"Andrea?"

I look behind me and blink in surprise to see André standing there with a warm smile on his face.

"Oh, um, hi André. What's up?" I ask, smiling politely with mild hidden shock. It's André! I haven't seen him in what feels like forever.

He shrugs nonchalantly. "I just been around doin' my thing, how've you been settling into Hollywood Arts so far?"
My mouth opens a little for me to think, and I touch a finger on another. "Um, it's... intriguing. Different from my old school."
He nods in understanding and tears a little tortilla off of his burrito. "Yeah, I get that. This place is a lil' different I guess, if you're not used to this kinda thing. You made any friends yet?"

I tap my fingertips together as my eyes wander to my friends, who are all on a table a little ways away leaning forward onto the table with their mouths agape. André follows my eyes and looks behind him, and they all instantly sit back properly and pick at their meals, then pretend to see him and wave politely with silly smiles. We look back to each other; André raises his eyebrows, amused, and I look into the distance with a weary look like a camera in The Office. I've only known them for two days, but I know they are supporting me on this supremely embarrassing chat.
"So," he puts his hands in his pockets and I watch him nervously, "I was wonderin, since we never got to talk after I walked you to class the other day... ya wanna have lunch with me and my friends?"

I involuntarily blush, and at a loss for words or coherent thought I look over at my friends behind him. They're giving a thumbs up for me, nodding their heads enthusiastically. My train of thought is less helpful: Oh my Gosh, oh my Gosh, oh my Gosh! It's André! That was the only thing on repeat in my head.

I take that as a yes from both my peers and my brain, and I shrug smiling and nod. "Sure, I mean... cool." That's the sort of thing he says, isn't it?
His smooth lips play an amused smile again. "A'ight!"

We both stand opposite each other, smiling slightly and watching each other silently. I'm supposed to move now, right?

"BURRITO WITH BLUEBERRY BLIX DRINK!"

I hear deafeningly behind me for the second time in two days, and I flinch remembering the first time. André chuckles, turning his head down and smiling at the ground, and I feel heat blooming in my entire face.
"That's... that's my food," I say with as much quiet dignity as I can muster, just like Dad told me to. He nods and gestures a hand to the truck; I turn round, collect my food and hand over the money to a perpetually miffed Festus, and turn back, catching my friends leaning forward over the table again.
I shift the weight of the tray onto one hand and point to my friends. "I'm just gonna tell my friends I'm going with you."
He nods and stays standing there while I walk over, every so often looking back to check this is actually happening.