𝘎𝘳𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘚𝘤𝘦𝘯𝘦𝘴

Walking to Sikowitz's class with André and his friends, I'm still wrapping my head around what they told me during lunch.
I'm going to have to perform some scene in front of everyone, and no one is going to tell me how to do it? This so-called 'Bird Scene' seems a lot more like an initiation than an assignment.

I swear this school just keeps getting weirder and weirder.

We turn the corner into the classroom, and in a flash Sikowitz has grabbed my hand and pushed me up onto the stage, and left me there in front of everyone whilst he starts squawking and tweeting around the room. Oddly, nobody is thinking it a matter of concern.
I look to André and he sends me a reassuring smile as he sits down in the front row; under normal circumstances that would work, but with all these eyes watching me I feel as if nothing can calm me.
Would I have to do the unknown scene right now?

"Now, young Andrea!" our teacher begins with a final air kick before crouching on the floor with a manic grin, "As you came in with the other Earthlings from this class, you must know what happens to newbies!"
"Uh, yeah, the-"
"THE BIRD SCENE!" he yells triumphantly, making me blink, "This performance which will be delivered in our next class, which is tomorrow, determines whether or not you can commit to any play or film within the confines of this institution. You understand me, Aaden?"
I blink again, processing all this information. "Yes, I do, Mr Sikowitz."

I'm let down off the stage and sit down next to André, who offers another smile as I sink into my thoughts and gives me the script for the Bird Scene that was lying on the side.
I flip through the two pages, thinking of how I can perform this - maybe I can put my own twist on it, bring to the table the cultural impact others here can't, perhaps set it with traditional Somali music and set the bird on a piece of pottery painted with traditional symbols?
Yeah, I smile to myself, that could work!

●○●

I walk confidently through the doors, a broad smile on my face. Since I got the script yesterday I've been working with my father to add finishing touches to my costume and memorizing the lines as he finds a pottery piece I'm allowed to take in as a prop. Now, with a patterned vase and a decorated toy bird under my arm, I stride into the classroom and set up everything on the stage.

As I smooth down my red, purple and yellow Guntiino, André comes up to me and I widen my eyes as he smiles at my costume.

"Groovy dress thing. What is it?"
I tuck a wisp of hair behind my ear and hold up one end. "This is a
Guntiino: it's this really long piece of cloth that my culture ties round the shoulder and drapes round the waist, see?" I gesture to each part, and the boy marvels with bright brown eyes with skin crinkling round them and smiles.
"That's really cool, Andrea," he says earnestly, and I blush then quickly bow my head and pretend to fiddle with the knot on my shoulder to divert his gaze.

Before I can express my gratitude, Sikowitz bursts into the classroom window, causing the students already in the classroom to jump in their seats.
Even though I had been confident the entire car ride with my father, it seems that as soon as my gaze meets my bizarre teacher, all that confidence washes away like water in a drain.

Keep it together Andrea!

"Newbie!" The bizarre teacher shouts pointing a finger in my direction, before motioning to the stage. "It's time for the BIRD SCENE!"
Everyone settles down and Sikowitz leans on the cupboard doors at the back, sipping on a coconut and gesturing for me to begin.
I smooth down my Guntiino, take a calming breath, and start the monologue.