Ivy

I race around my apartment, grabbing the black accordion wallet of fake ids and credit cards for those ids. I throw them onto my bed along with a pair of jeans, a couple of skirts, and some random tops. I frown, glaring around the room. I built a life here, not to mention the score I was working on.

How dare he?  I think bitterly.

I throw the tiny box of personal items, trinkets from a past that decided to continuously haunt me, on top of my clothes. I sigh and stuff it all unceremoniously into my beat-up duffel bag. I ram my fingers through my hair, shaking it loose nervously as I glance around the room.

"Well, guess I'm never going to see this place again," I mutter to myself.  "And neither is anyone else."

I light a small tealight candle, carrying it in one hand as I leave the bedroom. I set the candle on the center island, thankful again that I rented out the other four apartments in the small building as well. I walk over to the stove, leaving my duffle by the island. I turn on all four burners of my gas stove so the gas flows without turning it far enough to spark.

I turn and walk to the closet, barely pausing to grab my cloak from inside. I tie it around my neck as I walk out the door and across the hall to the other apartment. I set a burning candle on the center island and turn on all four burners. As an afterthought, I pull open the stove and turn that on as well. I quickly leave the apartment.

Without a second glance, I slip out the window into the narrow alleyway. The stone walls press close against me on either side as I slide down until I reach the main alley. The main alley is deserted, though I have a sinking feeling that someone is hiding out here, watching me. I yank up the hood of my cloak, hoping to hide better in the shadows.

I turn and hurry down the path, keeping my guard up. It's so quiet I almost miss it at first, but after a moment I'm certain. Someone is trailing me with very light footfalls. I glance quickly over my shoulder and see a flash of familiar black hair duck behind a half-wall. I mentally curse, pausing to reevaluate my escape plan.

It hits me that I'm much smaller than him at the same moment I see a familiar tight tunnel. It's a shortcut that leads straight to the central square. I'd be able to easily lose him within the heavy foot traffic. I make my way to the lights and the cheerful voices. I nearly make it when heavy hands grab me and slam me into the side of the alley.

"Okay, I deserved that," I grunt between clenched teeth as he presses me hard between him and the wall.

The rough texture of the wall scrapes painfully against my cheek, and I can discern the sadly familiar coppery taste of blood. I turn my head to glare at him, but my hood is in the way. I grind my teeth harder when he presses his body against mine, keeping me completely immobile.

"You're a hard woman to track down, Countess," a deep voice hisses in my ear.

My stomach drops as my heart leaps into my throat. It's as if his voice has cast a spell on me and I'm suddenly back in Oakwood on my second job with the Garden.

"Nervous Ives?" Cypress asked me for the hundredth time as he helps me lace the bodice of Oakwood royalty.

I rolled my eyes and stuck my tongue out at his reflection. My scalp itched from the long blonde wig I was wearing. It was strange to see myself in the mirror with dark eyes instead of my steely grey ones and long straight blonde hair instead of my midlength curly silver hair. I was even wearing makeup. Between the hair, the eyes, the makeup, and the layers of dressing that I was in, I looked to be in my mid-twenties instead of my real age.