promise me you wont leave me

Mike knocked on the front door of the Byers home. It was hard for him to contain his excitement. This was the first time he and Will would get to hang out together by themselves at a sleepover in a long while and he had been waiting all week long for it. After a dinner that Mike’s parents insisted he eat for whatever stupid reason, Mike had practically evaporated out his house with his backpack packed with clothes and movies for him and Will to watch.

After what seemed an eternity, the front door open and Will appeared in the doorway, looking just as excited as Mike felt.

“Hey!” Will exclaimed.

“Hi, Will!” Mike replied just as enthusiastically as he walked into the house. “So, what’s on for tonight?”

“I figured we’d just stay in and relax since we had school today,” said Will as he led Mike over to the couch. Mike set his bag down on the floor so it would be out of everyone’s way. “Then tomorrow I was thinking maybe we could go to the arcade or something.”

Mike chuckled.

“I just hope we won’t run into Dustin and Lucas if we do go to the arcade.”

“Oh, don’t worry, I’ve got that covered. I told them we were probably gonna go there and that we wanted to be alone, so Dustin promised they would go and do something else.”

“Glad you thought of that,” Mike said, giving Will a warm smile. Will felt his face heat up slightly, but he brushed it off quickly. “I can’t remember the last time we hung out together, just the two of us. I’m sorry that it’s been so long.”

“You don’t have to apologize, Mike!” Will said incredulously as they sat down on the couch. “You’ve just been busy with helping El get ready to go to school and everything. Besides, you hadn’t seen her in so long.”

 “I know, but I don’t want you to feel like I’m neglecting you or something,” Mike said sadly. “I hate not hanging out with you.”

“Well, you’re here now and that’s all that matters.”

“Yeah, that’s true.”

“So let’s just enjoy the time together. What movies did you bring?”

Mike leaned over the sofa and pulled his backpack onto his lap. He reached inside and pulled out all of the VHS tapes he had managed to fit inside it.

“I brought Raiders of the Lost ArkThe Terminator, The Karate Kid, the Star Wars trilogy, which is kinda pointless since you already own them,” Mike said with a chuckle. “Uh, I’ve also got this goofy movie called Airplane and E.T. Any of those sound good?”