The State Fair

Hopper turned the car into the fairgrounds of the Indiana State Fair. Mike and Will sat up in their seats when they saw the rides for the fair appear in the distance. Joyce turned around to face them, smiling.

“So, what are you two planning to do today?”

“We’re definitely doing the dunk tank!” Will said excitedly. “That’s my favorite!”

Joyce smiled and glanced over at Hopper.

“Maybe you should volunteer to be dunked into the tank, Hop,” Joyce said playfully. Hopper groaned. Mike and Will giggled. “Oh, come on, it’d be a great way to keep you cool all day!”

“If you say so, Joyce,” Hopper replied grumpily.

Joyce grinned at Hopper before she turned to face the boys again.

“So, besides the dunk tank, what else are you guys gonna do?”

“I think we’re just gonna ride a bunch of rides,” Mike said. “I don’t really wanna be around Dustin and Lucas while they’re pigging out on all the food they can get their hands on, and I know El and Max are gonna be trying to outdo each other on winning prizes, and they said they’d share some of the prizes with the rest of us.”

“Well, I think that sounds like a lovely day,” Joyce said with a smile.

El’s face lit up as she saw the fair coming into focus. Max was beaming next to her, while Robin was concentrating on following Hopper in the Byers’ car. El let out a soft sigh as she took it all in.

“Have you never been to the State Fair before?” Robin asked softly.

“Never,” El replied. “I’m not usually allowed to go out to places with a lot of people.”

“But we in The Party can be pretty persuasive,” Max said with an air of triumph. “Hopper couldn’t say no to all of us asking if El could come today.”

El grinned.

“I think he knew he was outnumbered. Plus, he kinda fears my powers.”

“I still wanna see you use those powers sometime,” Robin said with a grin as she pulled the car up next to Hopper and shut it off. “So, what are you to gonna do today? I’m sure you don’t wanna be around the dinguses when they have their food eating contest.”

“We’re gonna see who can win the most prizes with the fair games,” said Max. “We’re gonna win as many prizes as we can and then everyone will get them when we’re done.”

“Oooh, I’d love to join you so I don’t have to be around Nancy and Jonathan while they suck face all day!”

“You should come with us!” El said as they opened the doors and stepped out of the car.

“Okay, shit heads, you’d better promise me that you’re not gonna be throwing up in my car when we leave here tonight,” Steve said irritably as he parked his car next to Robin’s.

“For the millionth time, Steve, we’re not gonna throw up!” Dustin replied in an annoyed tone.

“Yeah we’re only eating one item from each food stand!” added Lucas. “How much food could that be?”