Chapter Fourteen

I was dating Luke Beckwick.

Me, the one who used to be the bad girl. I was dating the good boy.

We sat and held hands in silence for a while. Then, the mosquitos got really annoying so we went back into the house.

Luke made us peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch, and let me tell you, he was a good PB & J maker.

Mr. Beckwick came in during the middle of lunch and saw that I was still there.

"I take it she said yes," he said to Luke.

Luke nodded and smiled. Mr. Beckwick smiled too, but it was more of a sad smile. He was going to lose his son.

I was going to lose him too.

The days went by slowly, yet quickly. So I guess they went on at a normal pace.

Luke took me out on several "dates". Most of them were to the garden, but some were just in his backyard. We had picnics, or we just laid down in the grass and talked. We would look at the stars, and try to find constellations.

"Wait," I said, "you're telling me that you have never gone to prom?"

"Never."

"Why not?"

"My dad said no. I tried arguing with him, but it was no use. He didn't want me out that late. I've always wanted to. Although, nobody would have wanted to go with me anyway, and there was nobody I would have wanted to take. Now, of course-" he inhaled sharply. He took deep, long breaths before he could finally speak again. I did not like what he said. "I can't- I- I can't ramble anymore."

"Yes you can, you just have to ramble slowly."

"That's just the thing. Rambling can't be slow. If rambling was slow everyone would-" he inhaled again. This time, he burst into a coughing fit.

"Let's get you inside," I said, leading him into the house.

"Thanks, Kris," he said after I got him settled on the couch.

"Anytime."

Luke's birthday came on June fourteenth. We were still in quarantine, as the virus was raging more than ever. Any plans that anybody had for the summer were canceled.

For his birthday, I had wanted to do something extra special. Everybody knew that this would be his last birthday, so we wanted it to be the greatest. We couldn't plan a party since both Luke and I had the coronavirus. Then, I had an idea.

The day before, I told him that I wouldn't be able to see him until later that night, and I would pick him up and we could go to my house. He was sad, but he agreed.

My parents and I spent the rest of the day preparing the basement - which was extremely large - for what I would hope would be the greatest night of his life.

When six o'clock rolled around, I got into the back of my parents' limo. Yes, my parents had a limo. My dad got into the front, to act as our "chauffeur" for the night.

I had hoped that Luke's dad had gotten him to put on the tux that I had rented just for him, without spoiling the surprise more than he had to.

I wore an ankle-length light blue dress, with three quarter length lace sleeves. My hair dropped down past my shoulders in waves. I hadn't gotten dressed up in such a long time, it was almost refreshing.

When we pulled up to his house, he stood waiting at the doorstep with his father.

"I tried to keep it a secret," said Mr. Beckwick, "but he persisted."

"Well," said Luke, "I've gone a whole morning and afternoon without seeing my girl. I think I have a right to know what she's doing, and why on earth she wants me to wear a tux."

"I'm taking you to prom," I said.

He smiled and grabbed both my hands. "I can't wait."

"Well, you have to," said my dad. "I promised your mother that I would take pictures, and there's no way that I can go home empty-handed."

He snapped a few pictures of us, then opened the door to the limo.

"Your carriage awaits."

Luke and I climbed into the limo, and my dad had a few words with Mr. Beckwick before getting into the driver's seat and driving away.

I leaned up against Luke and said, "You sure look handsome tonight, Mr. Beckwick."

"You are looking exceptionally beautiful yourself, Miss Hodsun."

I noticed that the sleeves were a little bit long on his tuxedo. "Did I get you the wrong size? I thought I remembered you saying that you were somewhere around a-"

"I was," he interrupted.

"Oh." He had basically shrunk.

"It's fine," he said. "I think it's perfect."

"No you don't, but whatever." I smiled and kissed him on the cheek.

When we got to my house, my dad opened the door for us to get out of the limo. Luke got out first. My dad offered his hand to help me out, but Luke cut in.

"Do you mind, Mr. Hodsun? Because if you do, I can just-"

"Go ahead, Luke."

Luke smiled and offered his hand to me. I took it, and when I was out of the limo he spun me.

"Dazzling," said Luke.

"Indeed she is," said my dad.

I blushed as we walked to the house. My dad led us to the basement and told us to let him know when Luke was ready to go home.

My mom and dad had done an outstanding job in the basement, so much so that I didn't even recognize it at first.

Colored lights shone from the ceiling, lighting up the dark room. One wall was lined with two tables, one bearing a music speaker and the other bearing food. The middle of the room was empty, making it our designated dance floor.

One song was already playing, "I've Got You, Babe".

Immediately Luke bowed and held out his hand. "May I have this dance?"

I placed my hand in his and nodded. He pulled me onto the dance floor and we started to dance. It reminded me of when he told me that he liked me, and about halfway through I started to cry.

He whispered into my ear, even though there was nobody there. "What's the matter, beautiful?"

I buried my face in his shoulder and he wrapped his arms around me. "Cat got your tongue?"

"No," I said, my voice muffled by his shirt. I picked up my head. "I just love you so, so much, and I don't want you to go anywhere, and-"

"I'm not going anywhere."

"But-"

He kissed me, and that shut me up. "Kris," he said, "stop. I'm not going anywhere, right now. And that's all that matters. Right now."

I gulped. He took my hand and spun me as we began to dance again.

"Thank you," said Luke. "This is hands down the best birthday since my mom died."

"It is?"

"It is."

"I love you, Kris."