Chapter 1

I always start my day with cooking breakfast for my family, but I never go eat with them because I always have somewhere to go. I grabbed my school bag and looked at myself in the mirror with my school uniform.

"I am the sharpest Japanese-American girl in all of California 1964" I said to myself.

My brother replied "Yeah, right."

I threw a pillow at him and bolted out the door. Then when I went out the door once again I saw him, Hachirou Kato, even though Hachirou was the most popular boy in school he was hopelessly in love with me...but why was he here so early. I put my bag up so he wouldn't see my face as he was getting ready to go on his bike.

Then when I thought I was finally out of the lion's den he called "Hey, Harumi!"

I grin stretched along his face and he almost tripped over his bicycle. I stopped in my tracks, turned around, and gave him a big, fake, smile.

I said while looking off "Hi Hachirou."

The funny thing is that he doesn't know I know that he's in love with me.

"Oh are you going to your stand?" he says.

"Yes...sadly" I mumbled.

"What?" he says.

"Oh, nothing." I said with a fake grin.

Finally this guy, the worst guy ever, the most annoying guy ever, Hachirou says "Hey can I take you?"

The question he just asked had one answer...yes.

Of course, you all know what I had to say the inevitable which is "YES, OF COURSE YOU CAN!"

Aunties looked out their windows to see what was going on and I bowed as an apology. I was loud because what I said was very, very painful. I said it so loud that he was a little weirded out, but of course I hopped on the back of his bike and we rode away.

That was how this whole catastrophe started.