27. Resurrection and Heart

My unbeating heart almost had a jump start when I opened my eyes to find myself in the Forbidden Forest. The scents and sounds were dulled to the point of almost non-existence, but I knew they were there. Above me, patches of grey sky could be seen between the interwoven tree branches. It looked exactly the same as it did the last time I was here.

"Talis?"

I turned my head as someone called my name.

That voice.

No. He's not -

"Talis, you're here."

There he was. A faint stubble now shadowed the lower half of his face. His clothes were ragged and muddy. Bleeding scratches striped his face and hands. Ink black strands of hair were in a chaotic mess upon his head. He's aged, and not just physically. There was an older air about him, and I silently cursed myself for not being there for him, to help him through the hard times. Those emerald eyes became misty as he stared at me. He was beautiful, just like the last time I saw him.

"I told you I'd always be there for you, my love," I whispered.

A whisper caught my attention, and I realized Harry and I were not alone. I was standing in a clearing with four other people, other than Harry. On my right stood Sirius Black, Harry's beloved godfather. He looked refreshed as if years had been taken off his soul. Beside him was Remus Lupin, still scarred and handsome. He gave me a small wave, which I returned. On my left was a man and a woman. The man shared the complexion and messy black hair with Harry. The woman was lovely with long deep red hair and brilliant emerald eyes. They had to be James and Lily Potter, Harry's parents.

Lily pushed her long hair back as she hungrily took in the sight of her grown son. "You've been so brave," she said, her voice soft but powerful.

James smiled broadly, though his eyes glistened with un-falling tears. "You're nearly there, son. We're so proud of you."

Harry stared around at the group; I smiled when his beautiful eyes roved over me. How long has it been since I stared into those emerald depths? The love I felt for him seemed to pulse outward in waves.

"Does it hurt?"

"Not at all," Sirius answered. "Quicker and easier than falling asleep."

Lupin looked from his best friend to Harry. "He wants it over. He will want it to be quick."

"I didn't want any of you to die," Harry said quietly. "Any of you. Remus, you just had your son -"

Remus had a son? No...

"I'm sorry as well," siad Lupin, "that I will never get to know him. But he will know why I died, and I hope he will understand. I was trying to make the world a safer, happier place for him."

"Talis."

"Yes, my love?"

Harry hastily wiped away a tear. He approached with cautious steps as if I would vanish if he got too close. He reached out a dirty, scarred hand. I held mine out, but his went straight through when he tried to touch me. Oh, how I craved his touch... "I miss you so much," he said, voice barely a whisper.

"I told you I'd love you beyond death, Harry," I said, ignoring the smiles the rest of his family flashed at us. I carefully cupped his face with my ghostly hand.

"I'm sorry, Talis." Harry stared at me, shame dimming his eyes. "Ginny and I... We - I-I mean -"

I smiled at him as he fought to find words. "I did not expect you to stay stuck in the past, love," I said. "Moving on is natural."