Chapter Ten ~ Please Be Careful

"Good morning, sleepy head." I jolt awake and sit up at record speed, panicked by the unexpected company. After opening my eyes, I realise the voice that spoke belongs to Robert, who's slouched topless against the headboard on the other side of the bed. I glance down and notice I'm actually wearing his black t-shirt from last night. Wait, I'm in my own room...with Robert? Jheeze, what happened last night?

"Did we...you know..." I feel my face turn pink even asking the question, relaxing back into the headboard of the bed to sit up next to him. He grins whilst looking down at the sheets, and even laughs a little.

"Sweetheart," he cranes his neck to face me, "if we had...all the alcohol in the world wouldn't let you forget it." Thank God for that. I can't even remember what happened after we left Empire's rooftop bar, I dread to think how much of an idiot I made myself look.

"I drank a lot, huh," I reply, rubbing my tired eyes.

"Relax, I just wanted to make sure you got home okay, it was you that insisted I stay."

"What time is it?"

"It's just coming up to eleven thirty, you've been asleep for about seven hours."

"Seven hours? Feels more like seven minutes." I let out a yawn, stretching my arms out a little. Shit, my Dad will be across the hall. I haven't even told Robert yet. This probably isn't going to go down well, and it's definitely going to be awkward.

"I take it you don't remember much from last night?" Robert asks. I sigh and close my eyes, shaking my head.

"On a scale of one to ten, how much did I embarrass myself in front of everyone?"

"That depends. How easily are you embarrassed?" I turn and look at him whilst raising my eyebrows. "Probably about a nine. But that's only because I was paying such close attention."

"Just how close are we talking?"

"Well, I noticed you trip over about six times. The first five you managed to ride out smoothly and walk it off, but the sixth? Well...you unfortunately landed flat on your ass to say the least, and almost took down two women and a bar stool with you." I hold a hand to my face. "You really don't remember a thing do you?" I let the hand fall and notice his hopeful stare.

"Is there something I need to be reminded of?" I ask. He titters, looking away.

"Nope, not a thing." He looks back at me after speaking, an unexplainable glint in his eye.

"Ken? Are you awake sweetie?" Shouts the voice from the other side of the apartment. Robert instantly frowns, gawping at me with his lips parted slightly; no doubt with confusion.

"Um, yeah. I'll be up in just a minute."

"What the hell? Why do you have some random guy in your apartment?"

"He's not some random guy. Look, Robert, there's something I need to tell you, and I didn't tell you because of everything going on with Avri but obviously I wasn't planning on you being here in my bed, so-"

"Please get to the point, Kendall," he says politely, getting out of bed wearing nothing but boxer shorts. He retrieves his dress pants from one of my radiators and starts to put them on. Trying not to get distracted by thinking about Robert just got a lot harder. How the hell is this guy in his fifties? He has a body that looks like it was sculpted by the gods. "My eyes are up here," he adds. I feel my face heat up.

"The point, right. What's the point?" He gives me a coy smile, shaking his head.

"Remember? The man that just yelled your name?"