17. Consoler

17. Consoler

To Comfort

"Alice?"

Alice blinked, staggering back as Theo turned, his hand ripping away from Emily's exposed thigh like he'd been burned.

"I can explain," he sputtered, stepping forward.

"I don't..." Alice's voice was strangled, a lump quickly growing in her throat. She took another step back, colliding with Finn's chest. His hands immediately moved to grasp her arms and steady her.

"There's nothing to explain, McKay. I think your actions explain plenty," Finn spat.

Alice swayed, her brows furrowed, her head spinning. Theo took another step forward as Emily hopped off the balustrade, pulling her dress down over her legs.

"Alice, please listen," Emily said, rushing forward. She paused a step away from Alice, and Alice pressed further into Finn, her heart pounding, her stomach turning.

She felt nauseous.

"I don't..." Alice repeated, the words refusing to come out.

Finn stepped around her, towering over Emily, his nose scrunched in distaste. "You're a real piece of shit, you know that?"

"No one asked you, Cauley," Emily spat back. "Leave Alice alone."

"No, how about you leave her the fuck alone. I think you've done enough."

"Alice, come on," Theo took another step forward, his eyes pleading. "It's not what it looks like. I was just—"

"Making out with her best friend," Finn supplied. He stepped forward, forcing Emily and Theo back. "Fuck off, McKay."

Theo saw red, furrowing his brow and stepping closer to Finn. He shoved a finger at Finn's chest. "That's my fucking girlfriend."

"Was."

Theo blinked at the sound of Alice's voice, turning to see her clenched jaw and quivering lip. "What?"

"Was your girlfriend," Alice said, her voice strained. "It's over Theo. You really couldn't last, what, an hour? Too much commitment for you?"

"Alice, wait—"

"You know what, Theo?" Alice croaked, shaking her head. "Just leave me alone."

She turned, ignoring his pleading voice, and sprinted down the stairs. She didn't stop as she ran through the library lawn, or around the locked library building, until she'd found a corner free from prying eyes.

Alice sunk to the floor, leaning her back against a school building she couldn't recognise. She took a sharp breath, inhaling the cold December air.

And she cried.

A sob bubbled up her throat, and tears fell over her eyes, dripping down her cheeks. She laughed bitterly at her ruined makeup and wrinkled dress, but the tears continued to flow, running into her mouth until she tasted salt.

She laughed because she wasn't even upset about Theo.

She knew she should have been. Theo was her, what? Boyfriend? Fantasy? Except, she had liked the idea of him more than the boy himself. She liked the thought of dating a rugby player. She liked the thought of sneaking kisses with Theo McKay, the boy her parents approved of—the boy the entire school approved of.

And when Alice began developing feelings for him all those months ago, it had been practically written in stone. Alice Travers always got what she wanted.