24. Petit Ami

24. Petit Ami

Boyfriend

Alice was stiff in her strappy silver number.

Her mother had ordered it to be tailored right to the skin, even a slightly deeper breath risked snapping the zipper that held it all together. So, she stood tall and elegant, holding her head high and smiling as she stole short breaths through her nose.

Her parents had held yet another soirée, meaning she stood in the parlour, making polite conversation as guests flooded into the manor.

She had to stop herself from tapping her heels impatiently, waiting for Finn to arrive. That was one of the plus sides of their newly rekindled friendship. His attendance at these stuffy parties made them almost bearable, especially when they snuck away together.

Alice stilled. Were they even considered friends?

Her heart picked up speed as she was brought back to her conversation at the start of the week with Julia. She knew she had to clarify her relationship with Cauley, and yet whenever she met his eyes in the hallways, she found her mind going blank and her heart racing.

She wasn't sure what she was expecting, but she was scared.

What if he saw this as nothing but a bit of fun? What if all he'd said to her on her birthday was just him lost in the moment? He certainly hadn't repeated any of his sentiments to her since then.

Suddenly, she wasn't so keen on seeing him arrive after all.

"Miss Travers!"

Alice blinked, craning her neck to find a tall, middle-aged couple stride into the manor, elegantly handing their coats off to the staff. Behind them, Emily walked in, her face sour and eyes narrowed.

"How are you?" the nasally voice of Mrs Sinclair snapped Alice out of her daze, and her Travers smile was immediately plastered onto her face.

"Mr and Mrs Sinclair," Alice recovered smoothly, pressing kisses to their cheeks. "So lovely to see you this evening. I hope you had a good flight home last week?"

"Oh, yes, Switzerland was simply divine." Mr Sinclair smiled politely.

Alice nodded along, listening as the couple began divulging—or more accurately, bragging—about their adventures in Switzerland. They'd left after Christmas, meaning Alice had been spared of the painful displeasure of seeing Emily for weeks.

That is, until today.

"And Emily had the most wonderful time practicing her German," Mrs Sinclair continued, pulling Emily forward with a smile.

"It was French, Mother," Emily drawled, not bothering to smile out of etiquette.

"Ah, Emily's always been a natural," Alice said, her voice the epitome of politesse and etiquette. "Tu racontes de la merde, non, Emily?" You're full of shit.

Emily scrunched her nose, nodding as if she understood, and Alice continued smiling, knowing full well that Emily never attended her French lessons, even if she was in Switzerland.

"Well, it's lovely seeing you here, Emily." Alice grinned, kissing her cheek politely.

Emily rolled her eyes in response, earning a glare from her parents.

"Apologies, Miss Travers," Mrs Sinclair frowned. "Emily's been feeling ill since our trip, isn't that right dear?"

Mr Sinclair nodded in agreement, and Alice smiled at them.