15. The Voyage Home

It would take another several months for the engineers working on Stargazer Ten to finish working on the massive craft. Compared to the original vessel that brought them all to the planet, Stargazer Ten was double the size of the Eplis, making it a very intimidating ship since the metal hull was dark as it was being made of Martian Metal. Since their ship was no longer functional Nathan, Rachel and Gregory all integrated into life on Red Star, taking positions their backgrounds would allow them to make the biggest contribution possible. Rachel had medical experience, which was why she was chosen; to provide medical attention during the trip if necessary. This allowed her to volunteer to help at the colony's hospital. Gregory was a know it all when it came to the media boxes, so he was assigned to assist going through all the material on them as well as answer any questions the council's researchers might have about the boxes or its materials. For Nathan, there was never any doubt what he was going to do. He took the tests that all citizens had to take to qualify for Star Shooter training, and he smoked each and every one of them. He even set new records for some of them, which impressed the hell out of everyone. Nathan's experience with the air force was easily noticed by the other pilots and they all watched with amazement as he smoked every simulation they could possibly throw at him. It was clear that not only was Nathan an exceptional pilot, he was better than every other pilot that the colony had. The day Nathan got to test a Star Shooter for the first time, he had a colony pilot to observe or take over if necessary. It wasn't necessary because Nathan has zero issues whipping his shooter all over the place. Making one spectacular maneuver after another that wowed the people who were watching inside the dome. When taking the outdoor obstacle course, which was the final test to be cleared to be a full-time pilot, Nathan not only passed it but set a new record for time. When he flew the shooter back into the Hanger within the Eplis' hull, there was a massive crowd waiting for him in the hanger, cheering him on as he touched down. When he jumped off the plane, Jessica happened to be there as she ran over and planted a big kiss on him, which was almost as great as flying the shooter, possibly better. Moments later, Eric Saunders strolled over, with an interesting look on his face.

     "Is there something wrong, Sir?" Nathan asked, saluting the old man.

     The old man grunted before responding. "I see you've met my daughter."

     Nathan was speechless for a change, but felt better when Eric smiled back at him and then patted him on the shoulder.

     "That's some flying you did there, kid." Eric said as he also patted the hull of the shooter. "What do you think of my creation?"

     "You created these ships?" Nathan asked, shocked.

     "Not exactly," Jessica answered for the old man, "All the engines on the shooters and the Stargazers were invented by him. It wouldn't have been possible for any of us to be here if it wasn't for him."

     "It's quite amazing, Sir." Nathan said, turning back to Eric. "That little bugger was clocking some serious speeds that would make every pilot back home greener than the hulk with sheer envy."

     "I have the impression you'd like a job flying these babies full time?" Eric asked, "Doing patrols and keeping the colonies safe from all threats?"

     "It would be an honor." Nathan replied.

     "Then here you go," Eric said, handing him a set of keys.

     "What is this?" Nathan asked the old man.

     "The keys to your new home," Eric answered, "Right here in the Eplis."

     "Wait, I get to live here in this Stargazer?" Nathan said, shocked again.

     "All pilots live here," Eric replied, "So if something hits the fan, they can assemble as quickly as possible. It's like having fire fighters live in the firehouse."