Chapter Five: Lustrum

Patrious was now back in the ward. Unconscious on an operating table. Awaiting the sinister procedure.

"He stayed down the whole way here?" Mad Max said. "Yes, Doctor, he's been unconscious since we got him." The assistant across the table said to Max without emotion. "We were unsure of how much we need to give him so we doubled up on the sedative."

Max's blackened goggles snapped up to his assistant. "Double the sedative again."

"But Doctor we-"

"Do it!" Max boomed. "These sedatives are muscle based and our friend here has had his augmented six times."

The help's face went white, "Six? Incredible." She looked at the impressive man, his toned, massive body brought fear and arousal into her mind.

"You can stop drooling now. This man would rip both of us apart if he's not properly sedated." Jealousy brought out an annoyed tone in Max.

She adjusted the liquid drug's dripping speed from the intravenous bag. It was now at a frantic pace, almost furiously, it shoved it's way down the clear rubber tube into Patrious' arm to keep the powerful being unconscious.

"That'll do." Max said simply, not caring if the large man overdoses. The Doctor's complete disregard for the importance of life was strengthened by Patrious' ability to turn his blonde haired assistant into a gawking teenager.

It amazed him more because of how accomplished she was in his eyes. Her red, augmented, eyes have seen more death than a regular at The Coliseum. She had twisted good looks about her. Slender legs, with just enough shape, perfectly toned arms with a tinge of blue all around her body. Her lips were full with a pale blue but she wore no makeup on her blemish less skin. Her petite hands organised the surgery tools as her short, sharpened, red painted nails lightly tapped on them.

The noise brought eyes she didn't want looking at her.

Mad Max thought Lustrum was incredible. Unable to convince himself that she would ever touch him, he took her as an apprentice of sorts. She was one of The King's top surgeons even before Max came into power as the Head Designer.

Lustrum was one of the leading surgeons in the ward and had made a lot of money performing augments. She never worked on gladiators. She could never focus when she was working on the impressive looking men. She only worked on the rich and sometimes the rich are nice to look at too. She had her troubles but her eyes were augmented so when she wanted to work she would only see exactly what she was focusing on. A sort of tunnel vision that granted supreme accuracy when performing surgery.

"Alright let's get to business. Too much of that at this rate will kill him so we've got be quick." The Doctor's desire for science overtook his desire to let Patrious die.

Max took his favourite tool and examined it. Ah, my good friend, the cutter. "Just because you invented it doesn't mean it's your friend." Lustrum mocked.

"I said that one time!" The cutter sparked to life. A flat stream of purple plasma as long as an index finger extended from the tip of the power drill-like design.

The doctor shoved half of the beam into Patrious' head. The stream became shorter by design so it wouldn't touch the patient's brain. The smell of burning hair filled the air as Lustrum awaited instruction.

A trickle of blood escaped cauterisation and Lustrum had to be barked at to attend. She was distracted again.

"You should be able to use those augments without being told." The Doctor's words growled out as he now wished the procedure would be over much sooner. Lustrum dabbed the blood away.