Chapter 2

Earlier that evening, I sat at my desk in my bedroom. It was a large table, and was always covered in random stuff, like my Chromebook, or binders and pencils and erasers. It was never fully cleaned off. Ever. 

I had no idea how I was going to get my math homework done. It was 6:00 in the evening, and Cinnamon was sitting on my bed, doing her homework. She always had straight A's and I never understood why she LOVED doing homework.

I loved Cinnamon's stuff. Her binder was thick with neat papers and dividers. I grabbed one of her notebooks off my bed. "What are you doing?" she asked. "Oh, I wanted to look at your notebook" I said. She kept writing.

I opened it. Her notes were extremely neat and organized, and she always wrote in pen. After I flipped through her notebook, I looked through her binder (with her permission), and saw that everything was organized and divided. I wished my math binder looked like that. 

I also attended classes at South Garner High, and I remembered I had to check Google Classroom for my assignments. We had been out of school for three weeks because of a temporary school shut-down, and even though our teachers begged us to do our assignments by sending us tons of messages through the internet, I got lazy and was extremely behind on Mr. Jackson's History stuff, which I almost never wanted to do.

Finally, I set her binder back down and opened the Chromebook. It was more than two years old, and since Chrome had crashed on it, every time I went to play PvZ Heroes, the lag was horrible and the audio was all messed up (also due to the Chrome crashing).

Since I still had no efforts in doing my homework, I pulled up Google and spent a full hour looking up 'doing homework' and 'adult doing homework' and 'doing homework teen frustrated'. I saw tons of pictures of people doing their homework...some happy, some frustrated, some used the computer to do theirs, why couldn't I just do mine?

I sighed and decided to check Google Classroom. Mr. Jackson had posted several new assignments. There was also a post on his American I Honors page that said, "Hello students. If you have not completed the five assignments below, they are due by the end of today, at 11:59 p.m. From Wake County Schools, if you have received a zero on ANY other assignments, please know that teachers are allowed to put in new grades, and you CAN receive less than a fifty on any of those assignments. If you have to e-mail me about excuses for why they were not completed, please know that excuses may or may not be taken into consideration, as assignments that were given are supposed to be completed by the due date. I have extended many due dates because of internet issues, but if I don't see your work completed and turned in without an excuse present, like 'I couldn't do my homework because of blah blah blah', I will give you a zero on the assignment. Make sure to check Google Classroom every day, because new assignments will be posted. If students are not doing their assignments and I am not getting work turned in, I will stop extending due dates. Take care, Jackson".

I read the message over and over again. Cinnamon looked at me. "What?" she asked when I realized I was staring at her. I shook my head. "Nothing" I said, and turned back to the Chromebook. I also saw a new message posted by Mrs. Green, who was my primary math teacher. She had said that if we didn't get our assignments done by tomorrow, our grades would drop severely. And we were having an online test tomorrow (Per school shut-down for no exact reason), that would determine our final grade for if we passed or not.