009

A hint of tension hung in the air for the entire car journey to paddock eleven. Ellis sat in the front passenger seat alongside Claire, her booted feet resting lazily on the dashboard – much to Claire's disgust – and Owen sat cramped into the back. It wasn't that the Mercedes-Benz GLE wasn't particularly roomy in the back, but Ellis had purposely pushed her chair as far back as it would go, limiting Owen and his six foot frame to a much too small space. As Claire shifted gears the car jolted in protest and though she didn't say anything – having probably irritated Claire enough for one day – she wondered whether the operations manager had actually learnt to drive in a stick shift or if she'd just been given this one and had to roll with it, either way the drive was most definitely not a smooth one. They spoke only once during the drive, when Lowery radioed in to tell Claire that a Pachycephalosaurus had been transported back to its zone. Claire thanked him professionally, whilst Owen leaned forward between the two front seats and asked what kind of underwear the technician was wearing. Ellis had never moved as fast as she had done when she'd clamped a hand over Owen's mouth and apologised profusely over the radio to Lowery who assured her it was quite alright, she could have sworn she heard him smiling at the sound of her voice over the frequency's but the moment was lost the second Owen's tongue darted out of his mouth and licked the palm of her hand to free himself from her grasp. Claire had sighed heavily, switched off the radio and rolled her cerulean orbs; unsure as to how these two children had managed to secure jobs with any degree of real responsibility.

The moment they pulled up at the paddock Ellis pushed open the passenger side door and stepped out, closing it behind her and shielding her eyes from the blazing Costa Rican sun. She regarded the newly built walls, made much higher to her specifications and a small smile danced on her blossom pink lips, a mixture of pride in that Claire had actually done something Ellis had told her to, and thankfulness because had those walls been any lower Ellis wasn't entirely sure she'd want to be anywhere near this paddock ever again.

"We've been pre-booking tickets for months," Claire began to explain, her words directed mainly towards Owen. "The park needs a new attraction every few years in order to reinvigorate the public's interest; it's kind of like the space programme. Corporate felt genetic modification would up the wow factor." Turning away from Ellis and Owen she headed towards the small paddock control room for the second time that day, taking the metal staircase one at a time, her hand sliding up the railing as she did so. Ellis gestured for Owen to go ahead of her and hung back ever so slightly as he followed after Claire up the staircase.

"They're dinosaurs, wow enough." He muttered in response to her corporate spiel, it was no secret that Owen Grady cared very little for the business side of the Jurassic World franchise.

"Not according to our focus groups." Claire shot back a reply and Ellis rolled her chocolate brown orbs. These focus groups were no doubt filled with over privileged types who could afford to come to Jurassic World at least a few times a year, she knew full well that those people who saved for the once in a life time trip to Isla Nublar would be perfectly thrilled with nothing more than a Procompsognathus which was no bigger than an oversized chicken, genetic modification really was, Ellis thought, entirely unnecessary. "The Indominus Rex makes us relevant again." Claire finished and Ellis smirked at the way Owen's shoulders shook in front of her as he attempted to supress a laugh.

"The Indominus Rex." He repeated, eventually releasing a low chuckle when he could no longer fight to contain it.

"We needed something scary and easy to pronounce, you should hear a four year old try to say Archaeornithomimus." The redhead stopped at the top of the stairs and turned to face Owen and Ellis, one perfectly shaped eyebrow raised as though silently challenging the two handlers to correct her. Owen simply laughed again and shook his head; Ellis popped her head around his broad shoulders and grinned at Claire.