013

The distant roars of the Indominus Rex made the leaves on the trees around them shake, and every so often Ellis could've sworn she felt the ground shudder beneath her booted feet, impact tremors, she figured, sent through the earth each time the incredibly large animal took a step. Deciding not to voice her theories about the weight of the animal that was undoubtedly ravaging its way through a herd of unsuspecting herbivores somewhere on the other side of the island Ellis ushered both of the boys forwards. She had only a mild notion of where it was she was headed, but her outward appearance gave no indication of her inner worries, she looked like she had the entire situation totally under control, despite the fact that she absolutely did not.

"It's more like millions of years." Gray mused, making sure to keep his voice quiet as not to attract any unwanted attention from any of the islands inhabitants.

"What are you talking about?" Zach snapped, a little way ahead of both his younger brother and Ellis.

Ellis frowned at Zach's tone of voice, and the way a smirk danced upon his lips when he turned to look at his brother, she hadn't grown up with any siblings but had she done she would have hoped to get along with them better than the Mitchell boys seem to.

"This claw," Gray held up the raptor claw that Ellis had handed him when they first met. "You said that it was thousands of years old, but it's really millions."

She smiled, giving a slight nod as she clambered over her second fallen tree of the day. Zach turned to offer her his hand, to aid her over the trunk of the tree, Ellis merely raised a brow point blank refusing his offer and making her own way over. She didn't wince when a shooting pain ran from the wound in her arm up to her shoulder, instead she turned her attention to Gray. "You know about dinosaurs?" She asked.

"He doesn't shut up about them, it's pretty annoying actually. His entire bedroom is covered with them." Zach commented dryly.

Gray, who had been making a conscious effort to stay as close to Ellis' side as he could without ever actually touching her, blushed and his gaze momentarily flickered to the leaf covered ground. Ellis, on the other hand, was beaming down at the short boy with his wet curls and adorable embarrassment. She was, however, quickly growing tired of Zach Mitchell and his attitude, she was the daughter of Alan Grant after all – and despite her paleontological breakthrough in the nurturing habits of dinosaurs, she had little to no remotely nurturing instincts herself. All Ellis had to do was get these kids off the island alive, then she never had to see them again, but if she could pass the time by talking shop with the youngest one then she would.

"Well," Ellis continued, readjusting the rifle on her shoulder before continuing. "I love dinosaurs; they're all I've ever known. My dad's a palaeontologist, and I guess you could say that I am too, though Asset Behavioural Analyst is my official title."

"Is your dad Alan Grant?" Grays voice was still quiet and Ellis didn't know if he was doing it to avoid attracting the attention of the Indominus Rex – that could no doubt smell them from miles away so really his attempts to remain undetected were in vain – or if he was simply trying to avoid being chastised yet again by his brother.

"Yeah, you heard of him?"

"I've read all his books, even the ones after he came to the island."

"Even those..." Ellis mused, raising her brows in mock surprise. It was no secret that Alan Grant's visit to the original Jurassic Park changed him, or at least his opinions on dinosaurs. Eric Kirby had put it perfectly; Alan had 'liked dinosaurs' before he'd visited Jurassic Park. The books he released after his return from the island were purely scientific, made up entirely of research; there wasn't an ounce of feeling in them, which was why so many people preferred his earlier works.