one

"You really don't think it's a good idea?" She turned to face Kaiden, who was laid out in the spot next to her. She pushed off the sheets and slipped into the bathroom, wearing only one of his old t-shirts.

Ada looked in the mirror. The deep circles under her eyes were disappearing, her skin was going back to what it used to be, and she finally felt like she was returning to the woman she once was. She had her bad days when she missed Sai so much, but hopefully, she could get past it.

Hopefully, everyone could.

"You told me yourself dealing with all that shit with Sai took its toll on you. On us, on everybody bro. To the point where niggas not even talking no more." She thought about what he said and realizes the point he had made. The friend group they had was changed forever, and everyone kind of dipped off and did their own thing. Ada hadn't realized how much Sai really held things together for all of them. Her absence had shattered it all.

But Ada was stubborn, and she wasn't going to cancel anything because of anyone's feelings, even her own. "Look," she called from the bathroom, "Shit was better when we were all together. Now look at everybody, just miserable as fuck. Nobody supporting each other, nobody checking in. Shit has changed so much and its barely been a year."

The group of friends had been fractured so badly that they rarely ever heard from anyone else. Maybe a phone call here and there, but Ada felt like that wasn't enough. "We going to see everybody today. Hashing all this shit out right now because I can't go on like this. I miss my friends."

"So I'm not good enough for you," Kaiden crossed his arms over his bare chest. She walked back into their bedroom and smirked as she climbed on top of him. "Who said that?" She planted a kiss on his lips as he wrapped his arms around her waist. "Alright," he pecked her lips, "We'll see how it plays out. But if shit go bad, just know I told you so."

Shawn threw his keys in the bowl and put his briefcase down. From the front door, he could hear the TV on blast in their room, if he could call it that.

With their wedding on hold, things between the two began to feel strange. He tried to be there for Neisha as much as she could, but everyone knew that Neisha was taking it the hardest, even now. She barely got out of bed, barely ate, barely did anything. Her eyes were glued to the television though he knew she couldn't possibly be paying attention. She had the same blank stare on her face.

"Baby. You ate anything yet?" Shawn walked further into her room carrying some crackers that he would soon beg her to eat. It wasn't the best or the most nutritious, but it was all he could do to get her to take something. 

She made a disinterested face and looked out of the nearby window. At the sight of food, she looked disgusted. Neisha had lost at least fifteen pounds only on her lack of nutrition. It worried Shawn every day. He tried to get her help as best as he could, but nothing was working. 

"Not hungry."

He turned down the volume and sat on the side of the bed where he used to sleep. "You know, the salon been calling me. They want you to come back and do hair. People still been asking for you," he brushed a piece of her wild curls out of her face, which always held a pained expression. He thought maybe her passion for her career would make her get out of bed.

But just like the other days, nothing worked. Neisha blinked at him as he planted a kiss on her forehead. "I'm going out today, to see everyone. You feel like going?" He knew what her answer was going to be but he asked her anyway.

Neisha grabbed his hand and held it in hers. Though she felt terribly useless, she still loved him. In the state she was in right now, though, she didn't know how to show it. "I'm sorry."