Prologue

Ding Dong 'Who is it?!' Nervously I get up and put out my cigarette in the nearest cup of water. I trotted to the door through beer cans and unlit cigarette buds, pressing my ears against the door to hear.

'County Police!' The male voice was deep and stern letting me know that this wasn't just any check up visit. 'Shit..' I utter under my breath. Hyerim began to freak out from behind me. Her eyes shaking in fright knowing this was about to be our last rode together.

"They c-couldn't know..' She stuttered trying to hold back her tears. "Just shut up and let me talk." I reassure her before opening the door.

The door made a noise as I opened it, pushing my anxiety back from the tension that had already came as they watched our every move.

Creeeak 'Yang Lori?' The officer asked. I glanced over slowly trying to avoid eye contact to figure out what I was going to do to convince them to go away. My heart was about to beat out of my chest.

I couldn't let them look around here and find what we ware hiding... 'I have to come up with something' I told myself. I took a deep breath and spoke. A silky british accent slid out of my throat, covering up my real voice. 'Lori isn't here.. she's out of town.' I gulped. The officer glanced at Hyerim's quivering face then looked back at me.

'Is it fine if we come in ma'am?' The officer asked while slightly pulling up his pants. I swallowed back my voice once more before speaking. 'Sure! come on in, sweetie.'

Hyerim looked at me as I gave her a reassuring nod. 'Would you wonderful officers like some coffee?' She asked with a perky country accent. I smirked slightly. She was always better at the accents than me. A smile began to plant on the officers face. 'Delighted.' Hyerim bowed before leaving to the kitchen.

She grabbed me by my arm and spoke, a synthetic smile on her face. 'You'd better not mess this up or it's your ass on the line.' I chuckled while roughly prying her hand off of my arm. 'You conned him not me' She quietly laughed hysterically.

'You helped me.' I scoffed, realizing everyone we had ever conned was a team effort. If she went down...I was going down too. I sighed. 'Fine, go make the damn coffee before they get suspicious.' She skipped away to the kitchen and put a kettle on the stove full of warm water then heading back to the living room. 'What are two hunks like y'all doing down here in the evening?

It can get dangerous round here." One of the officers began to blush. 'Ma'am, we are two highly trained officers.' Hyerim puts a strand behind her ear. Of course, she would be the one to flirt. No fair. Reeeeeee The kettle screams from the kitchen. 'Oh, looks like the water is done. Better go get it off the stove.' She gets up to go to the kitchen and grabs the holding part of the kettle.

I grab four mugs out of the cabinet and neatly set them on the table at a time as Hyerim pours pure black coffee into each cup. One of the officers picks up the cup diffidently. 'I prefer sugar and cream' Hyerim snickers.

'I can provide the sugar but officer I think getting cream so early at this hour is really inappropriate.' She flipped her hair back showing off her collarbone. Sweat began to drip from the officers neck. She always knows how to crack the men. Any man. 'You okay, officer?' I asked before sipping my coffee, unruffled.

'Why don't I show you boys our garden while Ms. May fetches your cream and sugars?' Hyerim leads them to the backyard while giving me sudden glances. Of course I knew what she was talking about.

I retrieved my purse from off of the dining chair and opened it. There it was. A bottle of rat poisoning. I wouldn't use it unless I needed it so I would have to keep their cups away from them until they got suspicious. I sprinkled a little bit at a time into the cup making sure none of it entered our mugs or had touched my hands.

'Isn't that backyard just beautiful!' Hyerim's voice slowly approached along with the murmurs from the cops.

I crossed my hands behind my back with the bottle still in my hands. 'We ran out of sugar and cream...' I explained. 'It's okay. We are gonna be on our way anyways. Thank you for inviting us into your lovely home.' The other officer continued while making their way to the front door.

Finally, they had left. I let out a sigh of relief. 'At last, I can finally speak normally!' I flopped onto the couch. 'I thought those donut eaters weren't ever going to leave!' Hyerim continued.

'I'm just glad that I have a partner who knows what she's doing, eh?' She flopped onto the couch beside me and grasped me in a tight hug. 'What would I do without you, kid?' I nuzzled my head under her chin. 'Your good ass acting got us out today... they could have found all the money we have. All three-thousand.' She rocked our bodies together.

I could feel the comfort and warmth in her voice. 'We won't be separated, right?' I gulped back a tear. She put her hands into mine before speaking. 'Forever.'

I always thought as a little girl that dreams were always gonna come true. I thought that mommy's stories about being a princess and meeting your rich prince would come true but...
Should have learned it's never gonna be forever.