2. all bad.

BENNY'S FIRST DAY at Freeridge High isn't so bad—he's met a few people and managed to get to all of his classes.

No one seems to really notice he's new except a few girls who whisper about him in a few classes. The only girl other than the few people he already knows and his sister, is a girl named Jasmine. A freshman in his art class who sits in the back and takes pictures the whole time.

They first meet when he's the last person to class, the only seat left is taken up by her overly stuffed neon pink backpack.

When he sits down she immediately introduces herself. She's almost like a character, her head banded hair, cheetah print tracksuit and bright pink lipstick being noticeable from first glance. She reminds him of that girl who always chases you and makes you buy her a slushy.

He later learns during lunch that she is that girl. She's annoying, and overly opinionated, but over all she's cool. Besides she only ever has the best intentions.

During lunch, Benny also learns that she knows Ruby's crew and has a huge crush on Ruby. They all seem to be annoyed by her presence the second they see her, but accept her since she's with Benny.

After lunch, he has a free period that he spends in the library, reviewing the course material from what he could remember from Houston. Turns out, Monse liked spending her free time in the library too.

"Benny," she whispered when she saw him.

His heart skipped a beat when he looked up and saw her walking toward him.

"Hey. What are doing here," she smiled.

"I'm studying."

"On your first day?"

"Yeah...why are you here?"

"I'm a library aid."

He gives her a questioning look.

"Don't judge—it gets me outta P.E. and I get to use the vending machine," she smiles.

That smile.

He feels like he has butterflies, but tries to brush the feeling aside, but it becomes more apparent when she takes a seat next to him and slides his math book into her grasp, "I suck at math, so I'm not gonna be any help. I'm more of a reader."

"Me too."

It's then that their eyes meet and his face gets hot. She smiles at him again, that same sweet smile.

"Cesar's coming with us this afternoon," she grumbles.

"What?"

"This morning he said he wanted to come with us to get to know you guys."

She's clearly annoyed, agitated at the thought of this afternoon.

"What's with you guys? Are you like...together?"

Her eyes widen at his words, "No, but we've been friends for a long time and he's got some shit going on that he doesn't want me to help with. He's being a dick about it and holding it over my head."

"It's fine, I get it."

"Thank God—finally! Someone who gets it," she put her hand on his arm as she laughed.

"Monse! Where are you?"

Even though it was a library, the female voice calling Monse's name was very loud. Obnoxiously so.

"Shit...that's Mrs. Morales," she gets up from the table, "I gotta go or she'll make me dust the shelves again—meet me here after sixth period, okay?"