5. after last night

"Leave a message after the beep," the electronic voice said.

"Shit," Benny groaned as he paced his room.

He knew she probably didn't want to hear from him. He didn't blame her. She had a boyfriend? Or did she? She and Cesar aren't official and it's not like...

BEEP

"Oh um...about tonight. I don't know what that was. I didn't mean to take advantage or...anything I just...don't know. Either way, I'm sorry."

He hung up and threw his phone onto his bed.

He hated to say it, but he was sure he'd fucked things up. It wasn't like Monse to not answer the phone. However, she was dealing with Jasmine right now.

Yeah...Jasmine. He didn't know whether to hate Jasmine or love her. She'd interrupted him and Monse. He can only imagine what would've happened had Jasmine not been there to stop them. Not only that, but she was most likely the reason for Monse ignoring him now.

That's what he was hoping. Monse flat out ignoring him would be too much for him to handle. He was freaking out.

He couldn't even sleep, tossing and turning instead of closing his eyes.

"Olivia?"

He called out to her, not sure what he wanted. A distraction maybe, from anything. She didn't answer, her soft snores echoing with the hum of the air conditioner. When she didn't answer he thought it best to get up and stretch his legs.

The wooden floor was cool under his feet. His eyes were heavy, his bones tired.

He stepped into the kitchen and grabbed a glass, filling it with water from the tap and gulping it all down in one go. He took a deep breath as he looked out at the chain link fence in the backyard through the window above the sink.

It had been a while since he rested. He slept, he napped, but a period of rest was long overdue. He wanted to rest, needed to, but he couldn't allow himself to let his guard down now. He'd felt that sense of restlessness for a while. it was starting to take its toll on him.

With Monse, he had felt a sense of calm in the storm. Between fighting to get in contact with his parents, and trying to adjust to life far from home, he was in a never ending spiral.

"Couldn't sleep?"

He jumped and turned to see who was behind him. In his rush into the kitchen he hadn't taken notice of Ruby sitting at the kitchen table.

"Oh, um," Benny cleared his throat, "nah."

The interactions between he and Ruby had been short to say the least. At most, they would only exchange casualties, at the least, they would flat out ignore each other.

Benny didn't particularly have a problem with Ruby, other than the ogling at Olivia that grossed him out. Benny knew that he still held a grudge because of the whole room thing. He thought it was stupid but he tried to empathize. After all, he had only lost his parents and everything he'd ever fucking known. However, this annoying little asshole didn't get to have his own room, which was equally as tragic—in its own way, of course. In comparison, there was none, but he was too tired to care about Ruby's attitude.

"Tonight was fun," Ruby stated dryly, there was a bit of a drawl to his words. Like they were coming before he could think about them.

Benny could tell the younger boy was still slightly drunk from however much he'd managed to get his hands on. It couldn't've been more than 1 or 2. He couldn't imagine someone his size, with his barely-there experience would be up right otherwise.