Chapter 1

A boy walked down a worn and frequently used path. "No young man, no matter how great, can know his destiny. He cannot glimpse his part in the great story. That is about to unfold." The Dragon explained to his audience.

The boy passed a man riding a horse and carried on, hopeful for the endeavors his future may hold. "Like everyone, he must live and learn." The boy then went under some bushes and started using the less-used path. "And so, it will be for the young warlock arriving at the gates of Camelot, a boy that will in time father a legend." He smiled as he saw his destination ahead.

"His name: Merlin."

Merlin walked through the town in awe and gawked at the large castle ahead. He stepped through the castle gates following the sound of a bugle and stood in the gathering crowd, curiously, drums pounding as the guards bring forth a man towards the stage that had been set up.

 A voice spoke out above the crowd, his tone demanding respect as it overpowered the whispering commoners in the crowd. "Let this serve as a lesson to all." He stated, his crown shining under the bright sun. "This man, Thomas James Collins, is adjudged guilty of conspiring to use enchantments and magic. And pursuant to the laws of Camelot, I, Uther Pendragon, have decreed that such practices are banned on penalty of death." He said from a balcony.

"I pride myself as a fair and just King, but for the crime of sorcery, there is but one sentence I can pass." A boy and girl, both around Merlin's age, were watching the execution from a nearby window, their expressions showing nothing but disgust at the display before them. Uther nodded to his guards and the man was placed on the execution block. The crowd stared in horrified silence at him while the two in the window turned away from the scene. The drums thumped and the axe was raised, following the King's hand, then fell sharply. The crowd gasped at the obvious gore.

Everyone then looked up at the King, ready to listen to his next words, like sheep. "When I came to this land, this kingdom was mired in chaos, but with the people's help, magic was driven from the realm. So, I declare a festival to celebrate 20 years since the Great Dragon was captured, and Camelot freed from the evil of sorcery. Let the celebrations begin." He smiled down at his people, arms held above him wide in a gesture that meant he was being obscenely generous to his subjects as if he didn't just execute someone.

Everyone accepted the man's decision and began to leave. That's when the wailing started. The crowd parted in shock, pushing themselves back a few feet to reveal an old woman wailing as she hunched over in pain. 

"There is only one evil in this land, and it is not magic!" She cried to Uther. "It is you. With your hatred and ignorance..." She bent over in grief as she shakily pointed to the stage. "You took my son." A painful shockwave went through the audience as the woman's face morphed into anger. "But I promise you. Before these celebrations are over, you will share my tears. An eye for an eye; a tooth for a tooth... a son for a son!" She exclaimed.

"Seize her," Uther commanded, breaking out of the stupor the woman had effortlessly controlled with her grief. The woman looks around in a panic at the guards and pulls out a charm, making the crowd gasp at the very outward scene of magic. Speaking an incantation, the woman swiftly disappeared in a tornado of wind, pushing the crowd back even further. Seeing that the woman was now gone, the crowd dispersed, moving on to prepare for the festival as the King himself retreated into his castle. Even the two that stood at the window closed the window, expressions of pity on both their faces.

Merlin, a little shaken from the demonstration that just took place, went to the side of the castle and approached one of the many guards. "Where would I find Gaius, the court physician?" He asked the man.

"There." The guard pointed behind him. Merlin followed the directions and walked down the narrow hallway, eventually reaching a door. Knocking quietly, he opened the door, poking his head in to see the room covered in books and random vials that held many unknown liquids.