Chapter 23: Interrogations, Negotiations, and an Unorganized Riot

Out of all of the hostages that V/n had ever kept, Lisa and James had to have been the worst. They refused to answer any questions, and they barely acknowledged anyone who would try to talk to them.  

She was growing irritated at their lack of cooperation. 

At this point, it was clear to the team that the cult had abducted Kenny and Cassandra. Those poor souls had been in enemy captivity for the entire weekend, and there was no telling what they were going through. V/n could only imagine the horrors that they were facing, and she was desperate to save them both as soon as humanly possible. 

She stepped into the closet where the lovers were tied down, closing the door behind her with a click. All of the other Freedom Pals have had their chances to interrogate Lisa and James, but now, it was finally her turn.  

Taking a deep breath, V/n looked up to meet steely glares from her prisoners. She met them with an unflinching stare that was just as cold, despite feeling the ever-growing anxiety gnawing at her stomach. Nevertheless, she dismissed it, trying to psyche herself into character. 

She wasn't the naive, meek, and terrified Y/n that she was trying so hard to quell. Right now, she had to become the tough, confidant, and persistent V/n that would extract the information she needed from her adversaries.  

After a few more moments of glaring at each other, V/n finally broke the silence. 

"So," she began, eyeing the pair. "I guess the others weren't so successful in getting you two to talk. I would've been impressed, but the Freedom Pricks aren't so good at the intimidation factor." 

She flashed a sharp grin at the pair. "Fortunately for us, that just so happens to be my area of expertise." 

"Get lost, you inhuman hellspawn," James spat. "we're not telling you anything." 

V/n felt her chest tighten. They had the gall to call her inhuman when they were the ones working with a child-murdering cult? It was ironic and hypocritical, if not infuriating.

"You've got some nerve," She hissed. "I might not be able to die, but I'll always be more human than anyone who thinks it's okay to abduct and murder innocent people."

"That's pretty rich coming from you," Lisa remarked dryly. "Where was that peaceful-ideology when you were firing that tranq gun on us, hm? Either of us could have died, would our deaths even have fazed you?"

V/n flinched. "Of course they would have. Your lives still hold value, even if you are just dumbass goons who blindly obey a deranged old lunatic who's hell-bent on murdering a teenage girl." 

V/n could notice their obvious surprise at her reply. She couldn't blame them, though, as she was just as shocked by her words as they were.

"W- well," Lisa sputtered, struggling to form a response in her head. "I'll have you know that our chief is a very dignified and wise leader! Your final death was meant to give rise to our God, it was going to bring about an era of prosperity for our people!"

V/n tapped a finger to her chin and tilted her head. "That's interesting. Tell me, would you lovebirds still be welcome to partake in that prosperity of yours if your fellow cultists found out the truth about your relationship?"

Lisa and James went abruptly silent. 

"I'm aware that romantic relations are a pretty serious offense among your group," V/n continued. "one punishable by death." 

"That's not entirely true," James interjected. "our teachings only prohibit the conceiving of children. There's nothing against being in a public relationship." He shot a pointed stare at Lisa, who sighed and averted his gaze. She began scratching at her rope bindings in a fidgety manner, a contemplative expression embedded in her facial features.