Prologue

New York at night was inexplicably beautiful, the same way fighting was an artform. Unfortunately for me, I hadn't looked up from the news app my eyes had been glued to to see the ethereal nightscape - and I paid for it when the wind was knocked out from between my ribs, not only catching me completely off guard, but knocking my feet out from under me, and my head completely dark.

"Hey, hey!" A voice that sounded just like the dangerous night felt called me back into the uncomfortable dark, bringing pain as sharp as the cold winds of winter in New York with. "Fuck, dude, I'm so sorry - let me buy you a drink or something."

My immense effort to crack my lids yielded nothing but an unfocused blurring of city lights with the warm ink of the late evening that my weak omega eyes would need a while to adjust to if I wanted to pick anything out of the mess of my field of vision. Unfortunately, the voice had plans other than waiting for my inadequate senses, grabbing my arm to help me regain my footing, but instead achieving the spread of a warm glow through my skin, flowing from the tips of his fingers.

Blazing alpha red pierced the midnight, and I gave up on making sense of the overwhelming sensory clusterfuck making a mess of my nervous system, and the nonsensical situation unfolding like carefully laid plans. Once again, my head began fading, receding into the darkness.