one

Melody Smith

I looked in the bakery's windows as i plodded in The Davin Street, longing for a piece of cake and other sumptuous inventions displayed there. I savoured the smell of fresh baked bread. The scent igniting my hunger, forcing me to move. As i made a turn to my left to enter my grade's quarters, sadness, gloominess and children's cries welcomed me.

As i walked in the narrow streets of our area, i saw women getting ready to work wearing their dark red usual uniform while men trying to make their children happy by providing them the small amount of food they get from their masters. I stepped in a small cottage that i called a home. As i shut the door behind me i saw my mother wearing her Ruby uniform, among with my younger brother eating the last night's vegetable soup. On the corner of the room was my grandmother, laying and waiting for her death. Her right side was paralysed two years ago and from that day, she haven't moved.

Sighing, i sat on the sofa with my mother to eat the left over soup. "When is the ceremony?" my mother asked. "On 25th of August" i replied. "Only one day left" she squeezed my arm lightly. I hummed slightly, feeling a weird feeling in my stomach. Nervousness, i guess.

"Don't worry, you will be a property of some good chief" she smiled encouragingly at me. I nodded slowly. "I should be get going, i will see you both at the ceremony" she kissed us both on the forehead and left the cottage.

After collecting the dishes and washing them, i went to my small room. The bed creaked as i laid down to think. What if some cruel Tanzanite got hold of me? What if the same thing thing happened to me, that happened to Jessie? What if he beat me? What if i will never be able to come home again?. I should not think about this. I should hope that i will be happy with whoever got hold of me.

My dad always said to think positively, negative thoughts only get misery to have more fun with you, but why? why us? why only we have to face difficulties in life?. My dad died three years ago. How? He came under a Jadeite chief's carriage. My brother was four years old at that time. It was a miserable year for us. Mother had to go to work, i was not allowed by the government to work somewhere because i was only fifteen, grandma was too weak to handle both of us while mom was away, no one from the government supported us.

All the royals and chiefs were the cause of the problems we faced in our life. I hate them. I have so much hatred towards them that if i ever got the to meet them, i would kill them. But what would i get it in return, a show where my family is killed by a Guillotine in front of my eyes and for me, a stay at prison for lifetime .

See, they basically take away all the positive things in your life. They take your loved ones which is almost to taking your soul away from you. "Melody!" my brother cried, i frowned and went quickly in living room to see my brother sobbing. "What happened?" i asked in concerned voice. "I am starving" he sobbed. "Didn't you ate the soup?" "I have been eating it since four days, i don't like it!" he cried and hugged me. "Shh...Its okay, i will try to get something for you, i will ask someone from Amber for the food, you stay here, Okay?" i tried to convince him.

"Okay" he sniffed in my shoulder "Be careful!"

"Don't worry i will be"

♔ ♔ ♔ ♔

Next day, i woke up to see Ashton in my arms sleeping quietly, soft snores leaving his mouth. I placed him in my bed and tucked him with the blanket. Last night, i went to search for a kind Amber (we are not allowed to visit another grade unless and until government allows us) to give me some food. Fortunately, i saw a girl of my age, walking towards her grade's gate. I asked her to provide me with some amount of food and luckily she agreed, she went inside her grade and came with a fresh bread.

I thanked her and went back to my grade to feed Ashton with the bread.

My grandma's whimpering snapped me out of the last night situation, i quickly went to her bed. "W--W-Water" she spoke stutteringly. I nodded and went to the other side of the room, we only have two small bedrooms, one bathroom and one living room where the kitchen and my grandma's bed is also situated.

After finding the cup, i poured down the water, dust particles coming from the jug. I went to gave her water, she sipped the water from a straw that is for her with difficulty. I sighed looking at her bad condition.

After sweeping the floor and filling the water tank from the well built down the road, i started washing dishes and clothes. While i was washing i found 20 sias* from mother's uniforms's pocket. I smiled, at last now i can go and buy food from the main hall. It was almost 2 o clock when i finished my chores, i decided to get food from the main hall

I walked down the road where the main hall was settled. I entered from the big door in hall. The hall's walls were of red colour similar to Ruby's colour. Sunlight was peeking from the windows, making the things visible. There were different stalls in the middle where some Ambers were sitting selling away their food. There weren't a lot of people here due to small amount they have got. I went to one stall containing fresh bread, i choose two fresh breads and placed 20 sias on the table. "Honey, its of 25 sias, not 20" the man with weird moustache replied in a harsh voice.

I felt myself being disappointed. "I promise i will give you 5 sias tomorrow" i begged him. He eyed me suspiciously. "Tomorrow then?" he asked me. "Yes, i promised...Thank you so much" I picked breads and went out. I went to home quickly. After eating the bread with Ashton, i went to my room and laid down on my bed as usual. I was nervous, very nervous for the ceremony.

We have four grades, Tanzanite known as Royals, Jadeite known as Nobles, Amber known as farmers, officers etc, and us Rubies known as Slaves. Tanzanites are ruling this world as in kings, Jadeites are government people usually Lords or Chiefs elected to collect tax, Ambers are farmers, shopkeepers and officers mostly and then us Rubies are the servants or slaves required to do work.

I drifted to sleep with these thoughts covering my mind.

---------

sias*= they are currency, they are like a pence

e.g. 1 sia= 1 pence

---------

A/N: well that was the first chapter, i really hope you like it, comment to share your feelings about this fanfiction also pleaseee vote *puupy dog eyes* and if you are confused in anything dont worry evrythings gonna open up in the next few chapters and maybe Harry will be coming the second chapter ;)

P.S. Look a that hottie *heart eyes emoji*

Motivation: Vote if you are 1d af ;)

Follow me on Twitter: @dslrharry