Chapter 1 ~ Changing Fate

The man sitting on the throne was not the same child Oikawa had tutored years ago. The hardness in his eyes, the tenseness in his posture, and the way he framed his words had all changed in the past three years. So much had happened in such a short amount of time, that not even Sugawara Koshi, the royal mage, could fully comprehend the extent to which differed. The boy Sugawara had known was no more. His gentle smile, soft words, and loud laughs were no longer. All that remained was his analytical mind.

"Presenting Oikawa Tooru, King of Aoba Johsai" Kageyama's eyebrows suddenly raised and he inhaled sharply. What was the demon doing here? There was no scheduled appointment, yet here he was. He, who caused the blue-eyed king the most heartbreak, was now before him, bowing.

The others bow was that of his head, yet Kageyama wanted more, wanted to show his old teacher that now it was he who was in charge, not the other way around. So, despite the look Sugawara gave him, Kageyama leaned back and took his face upon his hand.

"Lower."

"Pardon?" Oikawa raised his head. Kageyama could not allow the demon's display of insubordination to go unchecked. 

"I said lower, have your demonic ears failed you yet again? That thing you deem a bow will not pass in my kingdom." From his vantage point, he saw the other bending lower, hatred made clear by the aggressiveness of his movements. He enjoyed the man's visible contempt.

"Better. You may rise." There was no reason for the demon to be here. Oikawa hadn't visited the other kingdoms, which concerned Kageyama. What did he want? "And what is the purpose behind your visit?"

"King Kageyama," Oikawa spit out his name, knowing that at the moment the fae was in control, "I came to discuss the upcoming treaty."

Leaning forward, Kageyama raised an eyebrow. It was not characteristic for Oikawa to come to Karasuno first, considering the relationship the two kings had. Now, what was so important it could not wait until the next meeting?

"Are you referring to the treaty which will determine the alliances of trade?" He was. What ulterior motives were Oikawa hiding?

"What other treaty, King?" His elder's control over his expressions had grown lax, as Kageyama saw his sneer deepen, his eyes narrowing. "I would like to discuss the terms previously considered at the last meeting."

"Without the other kings here? You do realize that this may damage the prospects of future alliances? Do you want to be known as the king who goes behind others' backs?" The demon was playing at something, yet what was it? He seemed to have malicious intent, the glint in his eye well known to the younger fae.

"May it happen, I shall deal with it." Oikawa straightened, his face hardening. He then took off his cloak, throwing it onto one of his footmen. He turned around with an eyebrow raised. "The terms we shall discuss would positively affect the future of my kingdom. I need you to understand that agreeing to an alliance with me would lead to our kingdoms thriving." 

Kageyama curled his lips. They had danced this waltz time and time again, all to no avail. An alliance between the two kingdoms seemed impossible when all Oikawa's people wanted was money. In the history of both kingdoms, there had never been a successful alliance between Aoba Johsai and Karasuno. It would not work.

"The trade materials you possess would benefit us, while what I have will make your kingdom more... interesting." Kageyama did not trust him. This man was the definition of deceit. If this treaty went through, Kageyama feared Oikawa would use his materials against him. People knew Aoba Johsai for manipulation and ill-intent. They had already overthrown other smaller kingdoms, all the while giving out similar promises. As Kageyama thought more about Aoba Johsai and their tendencies, he saw the connections between their practices and the demon king himself. The Gods had made Oikawa for manipulation, for deception. They had made Oikawa for Aoba Johsai.

"King Oikawa'', Kageyama interrupted, holding a hand up, appreciating the flinch that had come from his sudden words. "I think this should be discussed at a time when all of us are present, no? Do we want to be accused of conspiracy? I certainly do not. For the time being, I cannot say whether or not we will have an alliance, yet do I trust the words of promise you seem to happily offer? No. I will make my decision, depending on those of the others." A lie. The supposed alliance depended on how strong Karasuno's army was and what the other kings decided on.

"As for now, I feel it would be best if you would leave. We do not want people to have wrong impressions, do we?" Raising an eyebrow, Kageyama had just now noticed how quiet the court had become, everyone had their attention focused on the volatile kings. He took a deep breath in, then snarled. His temper had flared up during their talk, yet the ice king did not want to give the demon the pleasure of knowing how much he frustrated him. The king rose, as did the sound. Attendants scrambled to make sure Kageyama's robe did not touch the ground. 

"And this will be goodbye, Oikawa." 

And with that, he left, heels clicking. The face Oikawa was making was particularly delightful, his cheeks flushing, lips curling into a sneer. The fae smirked, though he knew he would face the consequence of this later. Annoyed at their stumbling feet, he dismissed the servants, throwing his robe into the face of one and his jacket on another. It was time to find Sugawara, to vent his frustrations.

~~~

"That blasted demon! He has the gall to come into my court and try to get me to agree to an alliance with him prematurely! Is he trying to ruin me? What would the others think, the king of Karasuno agreeing to his demise before there was even a meeting." He and Sugawara sat together, overlooking the lake. The chill was comforting, though the other was shivering slightly. Kageyama turned to face him and lifted a brow. "If you are cold, why not do a warming spell?"

"That would use unnecessary energy. Besides, I'm used to the cold, spending all this time with you", the mage jabbed back, prompting a scoff from the other.

"You dare call me cold? Why, I have the warmest heart of all!" The king was glaring, but his tone was amused. Even so, he could not understand why Sugawara would stay if he was uncomfortable. And what did he mean, using unnecessary energy? Didn't the mage has free reign over all of his powers? Was there a strain to his magic? He decided to file this away for later, lest it becomes a problem.

"You, Mr. King", Sugawara poked his chest with each word, "Are literally branded as the ice king. Your powers? All dependent on ice. Your castle? So white it's practically ice. Even the seasons around the castle are all winter!" They both chuckled at the mage's outburst.

After a period of silence, Kageyama turned suddenly to look at the other, his hair hitting his face with the move. "Sugawara, do you think the alliance would truly turn out to be beneficial?"

Sugawara was tempted to coo at the show of vulnerability, the king's eyes open with child-like wonder and his mouth parted slightly. Even with such an innocent expression, the question held a promise of pain. This man–not even a man, he was a child ripped from his adolescent mind and placed in an adult world–had to carry the weight of his kingdom on his back, knowing no others could take on the challenge. Sugawara sighed.

"I feel that yes, there may be benefits yet there also will be consequences. I cannot tell you for sure what the best choice is, that is for you to decide. Even so, I will do my best to counsel you, to help push you to the choice most helpful to both kingdoms."

Although it was not the answer he was looking for, Kageyama was content with that.

"Thank you, Suga. I feel it is time for me to retire to my room." And with one last glance and a nod goodbye, the king left. Sugawara's heart squeezed at the nickname, only coming out whenever the two were alone. He hated all the pressure placed on the other, yet he couldn't seem to figure out a way to help the king without angering him.

Again he sighed. "Oh Kageyama, I hope you find someone who will help lift your burden." He looked to the sky, praying for guidance.

"Goodnight moon. Goodnight stars. Until we meet again."

❇Hey guys! I'm Gold, one of two authors:) I'm going to be writing Kageyama, maybe others depending on what we do. This is actually my first fic, but since I'm writing it with Gem, I feel very encouraged!! I can't wait to see what comes from this:D This chapter was about 1500 words. They will get longer as the story progresses:D I would love some feedback!!❇