It's More Than Just Blood

Welp we needed a chapter with no Ryker in it some time or another

"Two hellhounds at ten o'clock."

"You go right, I'll go left."

"Got it."

"You're really good with that sword," Erin grinned, watching Akina brush golden dust from Milli's hair, "Teach me!"

"You can't afford to lose your fingers," Aaron scoffed, to which his cousin could only respond by sticking her tongue out at him, "Or your head."

"What was that, the third time?" David groaned, working out the ache in his shoulder, "I'm starting to think it was a good thing Allison got snatched up for a tour right before we left. Imagine walking around the city with a daughter of Zeus. As it is, we're already pushing our luck."

"Let's face it," Milli reasoned, "Even with four demigods, it's safer this way. They've been going after Akina, too, which is weird enough. Plus, those three can't fight yet. At least not properly. You wouldn't have been able to escort them by yourself."

"Ooh, I have an escort," Erin smirked, "How fancy. Aaron, you can be my butler."

"As wonderful as that sounds, I'm going to have to pass," Aaron rolled his eyes at her, taking a right onto their street, "But what's Akina then?"

"'Kina is..." Erin mused, taking the steps up to her front door two at a time, "My emotional support human?"

Akina chuckled softly, ringing the doorbell.

"Wait!" Erin exclaimed, patting at her pockets, "I have keys! Which... are still in my locker at school. Darn."

"Calm down a little," Akina pat Erin on the shoulder as the door quickly swung open, "We need to talk to your aunt, remember?"

The woman who appeared was in her mid-forties, gray-streaked black hair pulled into a ponytail. Her wary, weathered face melted into relief.

"Hey, mom," Aaron muttered, slipping off his shoes as he entered the house, "I survived the apocalypse, be proud of me."

His mother composed herself and nudged him with an elbow, growling playfully. "I know you didn't do anything but run away too out of breath to even scream."

"And it was very hard work, so I think I deserve a snack."

"Not answers?"

"I'm digging into your secret chocolate stash."

Erin's eyes lit up at that, chasing her cousin into the kitchen. "Sorry, Auntie, I want some, too!"

She gave a fond chuckle, watching them go. David just gaped at her.

"You really just let them get away with that?" He asked her, "Who are you?"

"You're just jealous," she snickered, motioning for them to follow her deeper into the house, "Because no, you can't have any."

Aaron's mother brought them into a room that must have been her private workspace, if the metal scraps and wires were any indication.

"Sorry about the mess," she said bashfully, running a hand through her ponytail, "I cleaned up the explosion before you got here, though. Imagine my surprise when I come back from the mailbox to see my pride and joy up in flames."

"I apologize for the trouble," Milli offered formally, "We were only trying to get to Camp without any issues."

"No, no, don't worry about it," she insisted, giving a flippant waggle of her fingers, "I knew I couldn't keep it a secret from them forever. And it's not as if this is the worst thing that's ever happened."