Chapter 4 - Sorry

Chapter 4 - Sorry

When Stephanie and Pristine got home, they noticed Chance sitting by the receiving room. Pristine glared at him. She was still very annoyed at him for snooping through her stuff and bringing up hurtful memories.

"Chance!" Stephanie yelled as she ran to Chance's arms.

"Stephie Pie!!" Chance grinned whilst he lifted her up for a kiss. "How's my lovely princess doing?"

"Good!!" Stephanie giggled. As much as Stephanie is enjoying his company, Pristine was not in a mood to deal with Chance right now. The sooner he leaves, the better.

"What are you doing here Chance?" Pristine asked in a slightly harsh and unwelcomed tone.

"I came to talk to you," he responded.

'Well I don't want to talk to you,' she retorted in her mind. But she knew better. After all, he does have something against her.

"Steph, why don't you go to mom and dad and tell them about your day?" Pristine suggested to her little sister who enthusiastically agreed.

"Talk," she demanded as soon as Stephanie was gone.

Chance took a deep breath. "I just came to apologize. I know I crossed the line and I'm sorry."

Pristine couldn't help but scoff. "You're sorry," she repeated sarcastically.

"Chance Matthews is never sorry. He only cares about himself," she added. That wasn't always the case. The Chance she knew was kind and caring. Even when they stopped talking, she always thought that he still looked after her in his own way. He would often try to stop those who teased her at school. But after he blackmailed and invaded her privacy yesterday, she realized that the Chance she knew was long gone. All that's left is a selfish jackass who doesn't give a crap about her.

Chance looked down. His jaw clenched as if he was having an internal battle. Pristine stood there waiting for him to respond to her insult. But he kept still and quiet. She did not have time for this. "If that's all you have to say, then you know your way out."

She was already walking away when she heard Chance spoke in a low yet dangerously hard tone, "You're wrong you know."

Pristine fought the urge to roll her eyes as she turned to face him again. "And how is that?" She challenged him.

"I really am sorry. And I do care," he said softly. He sounded so sincere that she almost believed him. But she cannot fall for his tricks. For all she knew it could be a trap.

She scoffed yet again as she sarcastically replied, "Sure."

"Damn it Prez! I'm sorry okay!?" he exclaimed. His face held a distressed expression that Pristine has not seen in a long time. "I'm sorry for everything! I'm sorry I read your diary. I'm sorry I blackmailed you. I'm sorry I've been such a jerk. I'm sorry I didn't know what to do!" he burst out of breath.

Pristine stared at Chance in shock of his outburst. She didn't know what to think or how to react. She hasn't seen Chance lose control like this.

"I'm sorry," he apologized again as he ran his fingers through his hair in frustration. "I didn't mean to raise my voice."

He sat down on one of the lounge room sofas and covered his face. "I'm just tired of everything," he confessed.

'Tired of what?' Pristine wanted to ask. But she kept quiet as she noticed Chance's uneven breathing. She felt a heavy sensation emerge within her chest. The next thing she knew, she was sitting beside Chance with an arm rubbing his back in attempt to comfort him. As much as she disliked him, she disliked seeing him in this state even more so.