Chapter 17

Luke wasn’t joking. The milkshake was really, really good, it made Harry forgot he was bickering with Zayn over the phone a few minutes back. The taste of it, of how the melted strawberry ice cream glides in his throat that makes his body shiver in delight sends a silly smile to his face. Luke would smile, too – seeing this childish side of Harry, a tall, lean curly lad with big hands that’s enough to cover the entire mason jar.

“What’re you, twelve?” Luke laughed, and Harry wonders why it’s always twelve, the age used to describe such childish acts. He’s guilty of it, too.

“This 21 year old lad hasn’t had a milkshake in a while, you know.” Harry defended, taking a sip from it before speaking again. “And...” he took another sip. “It’s really good. This diner had me at their mason jar. Really impressive.”

Luke nodded, taking a sip on his own jar. “I told you so.”  Harry found it adorable, how the lad smiled and raised his mason jar at him.

They stayed for a few minutes, talking about food and places and a bit of school, too. How it was back then for Harry and how it is now for Luke.

“Should we go now?” Luke asked a few seconds of silence. It’s not that they ran out of stuff to talk about, but both lads really needed to catch their breath after a good laugh. So Harry nodded, pulling himself up the red – too red – stool. The waitress, Ruth – it was on her badge, thanked them and they did the same, Harry almost asking why the stools are too red.

“So, do we go back to the club or…” Luke asked, without turning back, just keeps on walking to his car.

“If you’re worried about Liam and Lou, they can handle themselves. “

“Won’t they get mad, though? We kind of ditched them?”

“They’re big guys. And it’s a club. They wouldn’t even feel our absence, trust me.”

“Where are we going, then?”

“Don’t you have school tomorrow?”

“I do, but its still-“

“Then were going home, school boy. You take me to my place, yeah?”

There were no objections from Luke, just a few grunts, so Harry didn’t have to preach a daddy lesson about how going to school is important. Does Luke even need school, anyway? He’s rich as fuck, Harry knows. But his uncle would always tell him that at some point in life, you don’t own what your parents have – you have to make a name for yourself too. And he kind of did, looking at how his business has grown in three years. 

“You can drop me off here.” He told Luke, who was about to object, he knows.

“It’s a one way street.” Harry already opened the passenger seat even if the car was still moving, but before he came down, he poked Luke’s cheek twice, the last one being too hard he suppose when Luke crinkled his nose.

“Thanks for tonight. Go straight home, yeah?”

Harry knows that Luke wouldn’t leave til he’s out of sight, so after he waved and shut the door of the passenger seat, he walked to his house without looking back. It’s usually a two minute walk from the intersection, but he took his time, enjoying the London breeze, of how his breath would be visible in white smoke. The lad would intentionally breathe out of his normal rhythm just to see it.

Count 6 to 7 steps and his flat would be visible, but when Harry gets there, it wasn’t what he saw. How could his eyes see it anyway, when there’s a complete distraction of a perfect structure sitting impatiently on his porch?

It’s all over Zayn’s face – the impatience. Creased brows, narrow eyes and nose a bit crinkled. His left foot was tapping impatiently as well.

“Where were you?” Zayn stood up the moment he saw harry, approaching him in hasty steps.

“I told you, I was with Luke.”

“You were with him the whole night? What were you even doing with him?” Zayn keeps on throwing questions, following harry when he walked past him.

“What are you even doing here?”

“What the f-“ Zayn stopped, taking a deep breath while Harry fishes for his keys.  “I just want to know.” He said slowly, then.

“we were having milkshakes” Harry replied nonchalantly.

“Milkshake?”

“Yeah! A fucking milkshake!”

“strawberry?”

Harry turned around and looks at him the first time, leaving the door open, and nodded. He didn’t notice it before, not until Zayn ducked and picked it up at the corner of the second step at the porch and removed the brown paper bag.

“tadaaah” Zayn said in a flat tone, while he raised the pint of haagen daz to the level of his face.

 As fast as the white smoke disappears when you breathe, if he was angry before, Harry sure isn’t now. So he attacked Zayn in a hug, the tightest he could give, that both of them almost tripped.

“although it probably melted a bit, I waited for like an hour, you, kno.”

“as long as its pistachio, it doesn’t matter” Harry then let goes, but as soon as he does, Zayn pulled him head first, and kissed him.