Chapter Three

I quickly speed walked away from Mr. Garthler's office like my life depended on it.

Why is everyone acting so weird?

My mom has been starting to sigh-talk a lot more lately. Connor looks at me like I'm a freak. Mr. Garthler knows my schedule. Mr. Backtread told me to have an adequate day! 

I went up a flight of stairs and got to room 201 for World History. Thank god Trent's in that class, or I would have teared my arm off during Mrs. Stevenson's very first lecture.

I walked into the classroom and everyone turned to stare at me. I heard someone say under their breath, "Fun with the principal, Cannon?" Apparently Mrs. Stevenson didn't hear. She rushed over to put her hand on my shoulder. 

"Everything's okay, dear?" she asked me with "concern". She really needs to drop the fourth grade shtick. 

"Yeah, fine," I mumbled and took my seat in the horseshoe of desks on the end, next to Trent. He gave me a thin smile.

"You're okay?" he whispered. Mrs. Stevenson got into the lecture about some dynasty that no one cared about. Well, except for Marlin Shonder, the nerd leader of Ceder Woods High School, and two of the nerds in his posse, Blake Gordin and Mike Ross.

"Yeah," I whispered back. Trent backed off of the subject after that.

One boring lecture later, Trent walked me to PE while he was on his way to study hall. I pretty much fail at PE, so I don't really try. I spent the whole time hiding away in my brain. I just couldn't stop thinking about my Mr. Garthler incident.

After PE I met Trent at beloved geometry. Woo. We usually spend the whole time passing notes about TV the night before, but I was just out of it. The rest of the day passed in a huge blur. 

After last period, Greek, Trent got all ready to walk me home.

"You ready?" he asked me, looking a little excited. Probably to be out of school.

"Ah... not exactly."

"What, you're staying for math help?" I laughed. If you knew me, you would too.

"No... I have..." I really didn't want him to tease me. "Adventure club."

He stared at me with solemn eyes.

"Adventure club?!" He burst out laughing and eventually doubled over.

"It's not funny!" I boxed him on the side of his head. He kept laughing.

"Uh, yes it is," he said, still laughing.

"Well, I don't see how this is such a big deal." I started to get really defensive. It always makes him apologize, but the feeling was actually kind of real.

"Wait, you're serious?"

"Duh." By this point we were out of the classroom and I was walking down the second floor hall to room 215.

"Um, Heather, I don't think you have the right idea about this club," he said, semi-concerned.

"Because?" I was starting to get a little annoyed. Does it really freaking matter?

"Well you know who teaches it, don't you?" My stomach started to clench.

"No..."

"Mr. Backtread."

Welcome to heck.