[23]

Josephina

"And we also learnt some stuff about the brain. Like where all the decision making and so on happen. I actually find stuff about the body quite interesting to learn." 

As usual, Clara and Felix have come to visit me after school. It's been a few days now since the...well since that day. I got moved from the emergency wing into ICU like the nurse said and I'll be in here for another day or two and then I'll be moved to a general medical ward. I have no idea on how long I'll be in there for.

"Ever think of making it a career choice then?" I ask her while munching on some more biscuits that Clara brought with her today. She said that she baked these and that I can't complain about the burnt edges because she put her blood, sweat and tears into it. I just laughed in response and promised that I wouldn't complain. To be fair, the biscuits weren't bad at all and yes there are some burnt edges but sometimes food being a bit burnt has an added flavor to it that makes it taste better. Just me?

"To be honest with you no. I never actually thought of that." She looks past me and ponders on what I just said and I don't interrupt her. She looks like she's having a deep thought evoking session in her mind right now. Felix was busy taking a nap on my other side, head on the hospital bed and snoring away. 

"How do you live with someone that makes so much noise even in their sleep!?" 

Clara giggles at my question and looks over to her brother and just smiles. "Imagine having another one." She sighs and I gape at her because honestly I wouldn't be able to sleep for at least the first few months if I had multiple people snoring away. 

"Who else snores then?"

"Ezra. Luckily Lex and I got the gene of not snoring. Plus you're going to live with us when you're discharged so better get used to it now." She laughs at the realization on my face because I completely forgot that they're allowing me to stay with them. I'm so used to doing everything on my own, making my own decisions, looking out for myself and depending on myself that this is totally not in my comfort zone. 

"Don't worry though, I promised you could go back and fetch a few things so we'll do that when you're discharged." 

A new voice joins the conversation and our heads snap in the direction it came from. Both Alexander and Ezra stand at the foot of my hospital bed and look over at us. We didn't even see them come in nor did we hear them come in. 

How do they do that? It's like they're secretly agents or something. How fun would that be?

"We'll go straight after you're discharged because you're only going to that house once and not again." He watches me for my reaction to what he just said and I don't say anything but rather nod because it makes sense that they don't want me to go back. Besides he said that with a serious and a 'Don't fight me on this' tone. 

"That would be amazing, thank you. There's only a few things that are really important to me." I say while smiling softly at nothing in particular. I'm just thinking of the few things that belonged to my dad that I stored or rather kept after he passed and most importantly the money I've been saving up since I started working. 

Alexander and Ezra after standing there for a few minutes, finally decide to take a seat. I mean seriously, doesn't it bother other people when you're sitting down and then everyone around you is standing and it just feels uncomfortable? That's how I felt just now. 

They do their best to not make any noise because Felix was still fast asleep next to me. "He's been pretty busy at home as well. He needs this sleep." Ezra mutters out loud and Clara and Alexander nod in unison in agreement with him. "Busy with what?" I ask curiously and stuff another biscuit into my mouth. They all look at each other and then shake their heads in answer to my question. I take the shake of their heads and the silence as a sign to not ask further on the topic.