Prologue

The screaming wouldn't stop. It rose in volume until it threatened to shatter the windows. On the street six stories below cars swerved and came to an abrupt halt. People got out of their vehicles and stared upwards as the tower windows bowed and cracked. Hannah's temples pulsed as the last of the air escaped her lungs.

Marcus slowly pulled out his earplugs and asked, "Are you finished?"

Beads of sweat formed on Hannah's forehead as she glared across the room. Marcus spoke in a calm, reassuring voice, "Don't worry. This will all pass. I'll loosen the straps in a couple minutes, just as soon as the medication takes effect."

"I will feast upon your pancreas! I will use your hollowed bones to drink lamb's blood! I will..." Hannah trailed off, her eyes drooping at the corners. Her head lolled left and colour returned to her knuckles as clenched fists relaxed and fell.

"Good girl," Marcus said as he crossed the room towards her, "I knew you could fight this, you just needed a bit of help." Marcus looked over his shoulder and cursed softly. He began to loosen the straps that held Hannah to the chair. As soon as her arms were freed he swiftly moved to her feet and repeated the process.

A harsh buzz sounded from across the room. Marcus looked back over his shoulder at the large maple desk. A melodic voice clearly stated, "Doctor Coburn, your next patient is here to see you."

Marcus left the heavy strap across Hannah's chest in place and strode back to his desk. He pressed the button on his intercom and said, "I'm running a bit long, Grace. Let them know I should be ready in about fifteen minutes."

"Alright, Doctor C," came the response, "should I clear off the last appointment of the day or will you be staying late?"

Marcus paused for a moment and said, "I'd like to get to that charity thing on time tonight, let's push Miss Timms to Tuesday." A loud THUNK sounded from behind Marcus and his eyes went wide. In the mirror behind his desk he could see Hannah rise from the floor, the massive chair still strapped to her back. A black film had formed over her eyes, almost fully obscuring the pupils. Thin red tendrils were gently weaving themselves around her limbs, making it appear as if seething muscles were forming outside her body.

Marcus turned to face Hannah. He leaned back against his desk. Marcus' hand moved slowly, almost casually, back to press the intercom button again. "Grace, on second thought, you had better clear my whole afternoon."