Chapter 10

The sun broke over the horizon, casting shimmering rays across the ocean waves.  Bella smiled as her eyes moved from the sunrise to Lloyd's face.  His head was resting against the passenger side window.  Lloyd's face was relaxed, eyes gently closed.  The dirt on the passenger side window refracted the light in just such a way that Lloyd's head seemed to be framed by a halo.  Between the halo and the frazzled beard Bella couldn't help but draw parallels between Lloyd and Jesus.  The difference being that Jesus had been sent to save her, but Bella was fully convinced God wanted her to save Lloyd.

Bella had been raised a Christian.  In her heart there was no doubt that God existed.  God existed, and he had a plan.  There could be no other explanation for the series of events that had led Bella to this point in her life.  So many tiny miseries, so many tests.  All of them leading up to this point.  This chance to save both the body and soul of this broken man.

Bella remembered the night of Lloyd's accident quite vividly.  Bella's plans for that evening hadn't included a trip out into the wilderness to drag a bleeding man from the forest.    In fact, her plans had been quite modest.  On that particular evening she had gotten dressed in plain clothes and prepared herself for the cold trip out to the soup kitchen.  Twice a week she went down to help serve hot food to people in need.  It hadn't been that long since she had been waiting in those lineups, and she always remembered how much it had meant to her to be able to get a hot meal a couple times a week, especially once the weather got cold.

Bella had always walked to the soup kitchen.  It wasn't far from her house, and she always hated using the tow truck for anything but business.  The only exception she made was once a month when she took the truck out to get groceries.  Before she left she had done exactly the same as she always had, she knelt on a small plush rug in her living room and prayed for guidance.

She still remembered those words as if they were yesterday,"Lord, thank you for taking me from the streets and helping me to see your light.  Give me strength tonight to help others in need.  Amen."  As she had left the apartment a gust of wind had torn the outer door from her hand, whipping it open and nearly pushing over a man who was standing beside the entrance.  He had jumped aside, startled.

Bella apologized and he had looked at her and asked, "I can't find Mrs. Poule on the buzzer here, do you know what unit she's in?"

Normally in her neighborhood Bella wouldn't answer such a question.  Jesus may teach kindness and forgiveness, but occasionally that had to be tempered with the knowledge that killers walk among us daily.  Bella had looked the man up and down and then realized that in this case there was no reason not to answer.  She replied, "I'm so sorry, mister.  She moved out last month, I really couldn't tell ya where she ended up."  Bella bowed a bit and walked out to sidewalk.

As she reached the curb a huge truck came speeding past.  From beneath its wheels slush rode up in a wave, completely soaking Bella from head to toe.  Bella stood rigid by the roadside for several moments before she remembered the man who was standing behind her.  She spun about and saw that he was completely untouched.  Bella's body shook, both from mirth and cold.  She brought a hand up and wiped some of the salty sludge from off her face.

As soon as the man saw that Bella hadn't been phased by the incident he said, "Well, now you've both helped AND saved me.  Here's my card, I work at Cafe Sumatra just a few blocks from here.  Come in and I'll sneak you a couple free lattes."

Bella had thanked him and run into the house.  She had quickly changed into her work coveralls, they were the only thing she had that was clean.  She was two steps from the door when the phone rang.  Bella picked up the phone.

Janet's unmistakable voice crackled out, "Bella, honey, I know it's your night off but the new guy, Lloyd, is stuck up North a bit.  We've got nobody else, and I'm afraid he'll freeze up there."