Episode 1

Kim Areum's POV

South California
I was lying down on one of chairs by the beach enjoying the sun wearing the new collection sunglasses from RayBan and a nice limited edition bikini from Gucci. The people I came with were either playing volleyball or surfing. Honestly I wasn't interested in either. I just wanted to relax today. I looked up to see my brother, Kim Tan when I heard him calling me. I guess he was done for today and we were leaving. I wore my wrap up dress and decided to follow him out.

I still remember the day we were asked to move to States for further studies. I thought it was all fun and games till the time, I heard a conversation.

I was walking around in our mansion searching for Tan to have lunch with him. As I was looking, I heard people talking in a room next to me. I decided to check it out. It were my brothers, Tan and our older brother Kim Won. I decided to listen into what they were saying. I could hear Won telling Tan to enjoy the life in States. I was really surprised to hear that as Won had always ignored Tan & I for being illegitimate heirs of our father. I thought he was finally excepting us. I was about to open the door to join the conversation when I heard the next words, "If possible don't even come back."

My naive younger self realised then, Won hated us. I thought they were sending us abroad for better opportunities like every other normal family. But again our family wasn't very normal. I realised it was a way of our older brother to claim the family throne and to remove us from his path. It brought tears to my eyes knowing Won could stoop this low to get us out of the house he claimed to be rightfully his. I thought it was just his cold nature which stopped him from behaving like an older sibling to us. I couldn't even think he hated us. I decided to stop my tears from flowing. I knocked on the door and entered. I knew that they both knew I had heard them because of the tears in my eyes but I decided to feign ignorance. I simply looked into Won's eyes as if to ask him why. But instead of asking him that. I simply told Tan, "Let's go. Mom is waiting for us at lunch." and walked out.

I realised we were in front of a cafe near the beach. We entered and found a spot near the window and our usual Korean waitresses came to serve us. We were talking and having a good time when Tan's idiot friend had to ask us about our family. My mood turned sour and I decided to focus more on the view outside the window rather than what they were talking about.

Usually I wasn't such an ice princess. That was the job of my friend and my brother's so called fiancé Yoo Rachel. But whenever I saw or thought about Won, I turned into one.

At night, I was alone in my room and Tan was with his annoying ass friend in his room. That day what Won said had affected both of us. But while Tan became a rebel who realised that his attempts were futile and went back to normal, I worked even harder on my studies to join medical school after high school. I had realised Won wanted us to prove him right by rebelling or trying to take control of the business. So instead of doing that I decided to make my own path in a field I was actually interested in. I wanted to become a doctor and one day I will become one and be free of my family clutches, a brother who wanted me to waste my life, a father for whom his children were assets he could use as he wishes resulting in Tan and Rachel's engagement and a step mom who saw me as good publicity for her.

I was about to go to bed. I checked my phone for any new messages and saw one from Rachel.

I will be coming to California tomorrow.

I remembered it was her and Tan's anniversary tomorrow which was why she may be coming. I replied to her asking her to send me her flight details.

Next morning when I woke up, Tan wasn't there so I decided to go and pick Rachel alone. When I reached the airport, I saw Rachel standing with a sour expression on her face. I quickly went towards her and said "why so sour?"