Chapter 1 - Karate

CW: Gender Dysphoria

"Come on, sweetheart, it'll be fun!" Kirishima says with a smile. It was his baby girl's first day of karate class, and she was feeling a little nervous.
"But Papa, what if I can't make any friends?" she asks, fidgeting with her uniform.
"Reiki, sweetheart, you're not going to be the only new kid in the class. You know that right?"
"I guess so..." she says. She still needs a little convincing.
"You've been wanting to do karate since you were five, honey! You'll have so much fun! I heard the teacher is really good, too! And hey, when we get home, you can show me and Auntie Mina all the cool stuff you learned! Sound good?" he chirps. She thinks for a second. Hm...she could get really good and make them proud! And maybe she could cheer Papa up sometimes. She's noticed that he seems really sad at night sometimes. She smiles.
"Ok Papa!" she says.
"That's my little warrior!" He turns on the CD player to help encourage her, and the two of them sing along to the Mulan soundtrack together as they drive. By the time they finish 'A Girl Worth Fighting For,' they pull into the parking lot of the Ground Zero Dojo. Reiki's nerves resurface as they walk up to the dojo, but she does her best to hide it...even though her papa can tell she's still a little nervous by the way she's clutching his hand.

They head inside, a wind chime tinkling upon their entrance, entering a small lobby with a front desk and a few chairs for parents to wait in, with a door on either side of the desk. A woman that looks to be about Kirishima's age sits at the desk, her long green hair piled on top of her head in a messy bun as she types on her computer. She looks up upon hearing the wind chime and smiles at them.
"Good afternoon. I'm assuming you two are here for the first Junior Martial Arts class today?" she greets them. Kirishima flashes a bright smile back.
"That we are! I'm Kirishima, and this is my daughter Reiki!" he greets back. The greenette peeks over the desk at the little girl and smiles.
"Hello there! My name is Miss Asui. It's nice to meet you, Reiki," Miss Asui says.
"Hi..." Reiki mutters, offering a small wave. Her eyes grow wide when she spots a little frog pin on Miss Asui's shirt. It's so cute! She just has to say something about it! "I like your frog..."
"Why, thank you!" the receptionist beams. "I really like frogs. What's your favorite animal?" Reiki smiles a little bit, Miss Asui's calm nature helping her relax.
"Pandas!" she beams.
"That's cool!" Miss Asui says. "You can tell me more later, but right now you might want to get to class and meet Sensei. I'll talk to you later, ok?" She nods towards the door on the left.
"Ok!" she says happily as she pulls her papa into the dojo.

It's a pretty big room. Lots of floor space with a big mirror and a barre on one wall. Black floor padding covers most of the hardwood floor, leaving about three feet uncovered between the padding and three walls, with about five feet between it and the mirror wall. Various training tools are hung, stacked, and propped against the side walls,  and soft zen music flows through speakers perched up on the walls. The walls, themselves, are decorated with pictures of past graduating classes, famous martial artists, and awards presumably won by the teacher. Near the door is a water fountain, and a few bags and water bottles of the kids that have already arrived. Four kids around Reiki's age are sitting and talking by the mirror wall while two older teenagers supervise. Teacher's assistants, maybe? The next person they notice is the teacher. An ashy blonde in a black sleeveless uniform with gold thread kanji on the chest. His expression is cold and stone faced as he looks at a clipboard, and his crimson eyes nearly pierce their souls as he looks their way. Reiki's nerves spike a little again, and Kirishima is a little shaken by the look, but he shakes it off as the teacher approaches them.
"You two are early too, huh? Good," he says, his voice low and gravely. "Name?"

Kirishima smiles. First impressions are everything.
"Kirishima! I'm Eijiro, and this is my daughter Reiki!" he beams. The teacher quirks an eyebrow, a little surprised by how chipper the guy is. He lowers his brow and looks down at his clipboard, K...K...Kirishima, Reiki. There she is. He marks her as present and looks down at her. The moment his eyes meet hers, she straightens up. He's a professional. She can tell. She has to make a good impression. She lets go of her papa's hand and clicks her heals together, turning out her toes and pressing her hands to her sides. She bows, just like she had practiced so many times at home.
"I-it's nice to meet you, sir," she says. Bakugou's a little surprised by this gesture too. Actually makes him crack the smallest of smiles.
"Nice to meet you too, kid. Why don't you set your stuff down, take off your shoes, and go sit with the others. Alright?" he responds, putting her a little more at ease. She looks up at him and nods, then gives her papa a quick hug before doing what she's told. Kirishima smiles as he watches her go.
"This not her first class?" the teacher asks. Kirishima chuckles and looks at him.
"No, it's her first. She's just a big martial arts fan. She's wanted to take classes since she was five. She'd spend hours on my computer just researching dojo etiquette and watching videos of tournaments."
"Damn," the teacher snorts. "Well, I guarantee I'll teach past her expectations."

Helping You Healजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें