Chapter 2 - Confidence

Reiki was restless during the days until her next class. What could she say? She couldn't wait to go back! But, alas, her class only met on Mondays and Fridays, so to pass the time, she practiced everything they had learned on the first day. Sure, she didn't have to. Sensei Bakugou did say they could take their time for now, but she wanted to do her best, so she practiced. She read the dojo kun over and over off of the brochure her papa got. Some of the words were weird, but she could read them with a little help. For those three days she practiced memorizing, folding her uniform, tying her belt, nitpicking herself for the tiniest mistakes while she practiced bowing. Her papa and auntie were happy to see that she'd gotten invested so quickly, and would help her whenever she asked. Though, sometimes they had to snap her out of memorizing so she could help them make dinner. Aside from karate, cooking was another thing she loved to do. Her papa and auntie can barely cook as it is, so they're grateful that they have a mini master chef in the making helping them out. From the moment she flipped her first Mickey Mouse pancake when she was five, her guardians knew that she'd love cooking. But right now, her mind was only on becoming the best karate master that she could be.

Friday finally came, and she couldn't sit still in the car. Kirishima chuckles at her excitement.
"Sweetheart, if you get all your wiggles out now, you won't have enough to use during class," he teases. She giggles.
"Sorry Papa. I'm just excited!"
"I can tell," he snorts. He occupies her with her favorite soundtrack like last time, and once she's out of the car, she's practically dragging her papa behind her. Miss Asui looks up upon hearing the wind chime ring, and she's met with two bright smiles.
"Hi Miss Asui!" Reiki beams, giving her an enthusiastic wave. Miss Asui and Kirishima both chuckle.
"Hello again, Reiki! My, you're enthusiastic today. Sensei will like that," the greenette says with a smile. Today, Reiki notices that she has her hair styled like a bow with a frog clip holding her bangs out of her face. How does she do that with her hair?!
"I really like your hair!" she blurts. "How did you make it into a bow?" Miss Asui giggles again.
"Thank you! I just used a lot of bobby-pins and hairspray. I had a little more time to get ready today." Reiki's eyes sparkle in amazement.
"It's really pretty!"
"Thank you!" Asui says. "You'd better get to class. I'll see you later though, ok?"
"Ok! C'mon Papa!" Reiki chirps, pulling her papa into the dojo.

She bows upon entering, just like she had learned on Monday, and she smiled as she got a nod from her Sensei. Bakugou didn't approach them this time. He just checked off her name on the clipboard after giving her father a nod. Kirishima smiled and gave his daughter a goodbye hug, then left her to her Sensei. Reiki was still restless as she waited for class to start, and then still as stone once Sensei called them to line. Now it was time for the opening sequence they learned on Monday. The students listened carefully as Bakugou gave the orders and instruction when necessary.
"Seiza!" That one was easy to remember. The class sits in seiza, a few of them hesitating to make sure they're sitting on the right knee first. "Mokusou!" Reiki was the first to bow her head, the other students following her lead as the class enters silent meditation. A few of the students are fidgety, but they stay still for the most part. "Mokusou yame!" The students raise their heads. This next part is a little tricky for some of them. Hey, they've only had one class. Bakugou doesn't blame them for not remembering the difference between "Shoumen ni rei!" and "Sensei ni rei!" He remembers his classmates having trouble with it when he was a kid, and he's once again pleased to see this Reiki girl performing like she'd started the class two months ago. She reminds him of Kota, but more cheerful and smiley. It's only the second class, and she's already showing more dedication than the other brats. Maybe she'll actually come out on top.

Bakugou tells the kids to get up, and he starts the lesson.
"Alright. Today we'll be learning the belt system and its components. You are all white belts, the lowest ranking belt. Can anyone tell me what system we follow?" He asks. Let's see if these brats are doing their research. The students are silent for a moment, some shaking their heads no. Reiki raises her hand. "Reiki."
"Kyokushin, Sensei!" she says. He hides a surprised look. Guess she really is dedicated.
"Yes. Therefore, we follow the Kyokushin belt system." He gestures to Eri and Kota. "Your senior students have reached the Shodan rank; black with one stripe, and are working to reach Nidan." He gestures to his own belt. "I have reached the Godan rank; black with five stripes, and I am working to reach Rokudan. You all will be working for your orange belts. Once you have learned all the requirements for each progressing belt, you will be tested on skill and performance. And after each belt test, wether you pass or not, there will be a belt ceremony with your parents, and the class will be treated to ice cream." Stupid tradition, if you ask him. The kids all gasp and their eyes light up at the promise of the frozen treat, but quickly fall silent at the command of their teacher.