Chapter One: The Return

Rain poured outside the car as Jared's mom pulled up to the summer camp. This time, however, he was dreading it even more than last year. He would much rather be spending his summer inside playing animal crossing and staying up until 3 am, but no such luck.

As his mom pulled up to the camp, Jared hopped out and gave a quick goodbye. He was instantly drenched in the rain, but didn't care.

When the camp had ended the previous year, Jared hadn't the slightest idea what would face them in the real world. They had been living in the isolated bubble of summer camp, unaware of how awful everything is.

Jared and Connor had broken up for a variety of reasons, but the main cause was Connor's unaccepting parents. It drove a wedge between them and ended their relationship two months previous.

And now he was going to spend an entire summer bunking with his ex.

Goody.

As Jared stepped into the office he was immediately met with someone flinging themselves at him.

"Jared!" Alana squealed, hugging him so tightly he had trouble breathing. "I missed you! This summer is going to be awesome!"

Jared couldn't disagree more, but didn't have to heart to. He laughed vaguely.

"Oh this is going to be so fun! I'm sorry I haven't kept in touch lately but it doesn't matter cause we're all together again!" Alana said excited. "I've already checked in, so go ahead!"

Jared was not thrilled to see Greg still worked here.

"Howdy camper!" Greg beamed. "Just sign your name here!"

Now that Jared thought about it, Greg's voice reminded him of screws in a blender.

Not that Jared had done that once when he eight.

As Jared filled out the form, Greg went on, "This year is going to be eventful! We have been planning this event all year, not to mention our new, state of the art equipment and activities-"

Jared tuned him out, he didn't care. He was just looking to getting to his bunk and passing out in order to ignore everything that was happening.

Jared finished his form and received his key to cabin F.

    Jared and Alana stepped out into the rain. Unfortunately for Jared, he hadn't packed an umbrella and his raincoat was buried deep in his luggage, so he just let himself get drenched.

    It couldn't get worse than this anyways.

    Alana put her duffel bag on top of her head to shield from the rain, "I'm so excited to hang out with all of you again! We can go swimming, play tennis, go to the new archery range!"

    Oh, so that's what Greg had been talking about when he said new equipment.

    "It'll be just like last year!" Alana said excited. "Oh! How's Connor been, he hasn't been responding to my letters."

      "Oh, um," Jared glanced away. "We actually, ah, broke up." Why did it still hurt to say even after two months?

    Alana gaped at him, "Oh my god, Jared, I'm so sorry."

    "Nah, it's fine, really." Jared shrugged.

    It wasn't.

    Alana looked down for a second, going quiet, "You don't think this will effect all of us hanging out, will it?"

    "Oh, no, of course not." Jared lied, biting his lip. "Just like old times." He smiled sadly.

    Alana gave a small smile back, "Jared, if you ever need anything, just know I'm here."

   "Thanks Alana, you're a great friend."

    Jared arrived to the cabin to find that Evan had already arrived and was unpacking.

    "Ev!" Jared said, flinging his bag onto the floor. "My favorite tree fucker!"

    Evan sighed, folding his laundry and putting away in the drawers, "I wish you would stop calling me that."

    "Never in a million years, tree boy." Jared threw an arm around Evan's neck and dragged him in, rubbing the top of Evan's head with his knuckles.

    "Jared!" Evan whined, managing to scramble away, his hair a mess.

    Jared laughed then went to grab his bag. He noticed Evan had already claimed a bottom bunk in one of the two bunk beds. Not wanting to share a bunk with Connor, Jared asked, "Mind if I bunk above ya, tree boy?"

    "Go ahead, Jared." Evan said, eyeing him.

    Jared hated how gentle Zoe and Evan had been with him since the break up. Instead of quipping back with a clever comment, his jokes were met with slight laughter and awkward glances. It wasn't fun to make a joke if someone wasn't going to bite back at you.

    Jared threw open his suitcase, starting to unpack. He first unpacked his secret snacks, which he hid under a pile of clothes in his drawer. He had enough Mountain Dew and sugary sweets to last him through an apocalypse.

    He would rather be in an apocalypse.

    "So, how's Zoe?" Jared said awkwardly. He hadn't been hanging around Zoe often due to Connor.

    "Oh, you know, she's been busy with school so she's excited to be at summer camp now so we can see each other more often." Evan told him. "She's excited for things to go back to the way it was last year."

    Jared didn't know if that was possible.

    "Listen, uh, I might not hang around much this year. I made some new friends that are staying in another cabin." Jared lied. He just couldn't be around Connor right now.

    "Oh, I understand." Evan said.

    After they were done unpacking, Jared cracked open a bottle of his Mountain Dew, pouring out two glasses for the two the them. They sat side by side on Evan's bunk, sipping at the sugary drink.

    "A toast." Evan said, raising his glass. Jared joined him in lifting his glass.

    "To Greg?" Jared joked.

    Evan shook his head and laughed, "No. To a new summer."

    Jared nodded, clinking glasses with Evan. "A new summer." They both sipped at the drink.

    There was noise from outside as the cabin door was suddenly opened. Standing in the doorway was Connor Murphy.