Chapter Seven: Into the Secret Compartment

There were two options, Jared could stay up in the safety of the cabin and let one of others go first into the dark and creepy opening in Zoe and Alana's floor, or he could jump into the hole with reckless abandon and see what Connor was talking about.

So, Jared hopped down into the dark hole in Zoe and Alana's floor, as you do.

When his feet hit the floor, he realized he was in some sort of large storage space, probably something that had been used to store the camp's equipment a long time ago. Connor was a small distance away, his flashlight trained on something.

"Look." Connor said, beckoning him over.

Jared walked over, "It's- a tunnel?" He said, looking at Connor.

    "Whatever it leads to, I bet it's what they're looking to get to." Connor looked at him.

    "What is it?" Zoe yelled from above.

    "Get down here! We're taking a trip." Jared called back. Zoe popped down first, walking over to them.

    "What does it lead to?" She asked, peering into the darkness.

    "Who's to say." Jared shrugged.

   Alana jumped in next, "Wow! Look at this place!" She said, looking at a cobweb on one wall. "It's like a horror movie down here."

    Come on, Evan!" Zoe yelled.

    Evan peeked his head in, "Do I have to?" He asked.

    "Yes." Jared said. "Now come on, no time to waste, we have to back by dinner."

    Evan jumped in and they started their way down the tunnel.

     "You know, we haven't ruled out yet that this is a murder tunnel." Connor pointed out.

    "It's definitely creepy enough to be one." Jared agreed. He suddenly realized how close he had been walking behind Connor and backed up.

    "I think that this is just an old storage or sewer thing and that they wanted the cabin for a different reason." Evan said. "Who's to say they even knew about this?"

    "Well it's not like there's that many other advantages to the cabin." Jared pointed out.

    "I dunno, that extra couple feet of cabin space is nice." Zoe chuckled.

    "Well you're the only one that hasn't said what they think is down here." Jared pointed out. "Where does the tunnel lead?"

    Zoe thought about it for a second, "I think it goes to a little hangout room. Maybe they brought down chairs and games."

    "That's a good guess." Jared nodded. As soon as he finished his sentence, they reached the end of the tunnel. There was a ladder leading up.

    Connor handed the flashlight to Evan and began climbing. He opened the trap door from the inside and swung it out, climbing up onto the surface.

    Jared joined him above next and was astonished to find himself not in the summer camp, but instead in a nearby town. As the others climbed up, Jared took in his surroundings.

They were right along a downtown street that was packed with shops and stores. Down the street he could see an arcade, across the road he spotted a candy shop.

    "Holy hell." Jared said, looking around.

    One by one as they came out from underground, they gasped.

    "Who knew there was a town so nearby?" Evan said, looking around.

    "I mean, it's not like we could've gotten to it without the tunnel, the camp is surrounded in a fence, the only way in and out is the front entrance." Alana pointed out.

    "And this tunnel." Zoe added.

    "Do you realize what this means!" Jared said excitedly. "It means no more stocking up of snacks! No more boring wilderness! We can come out here whenever we want!"

    "I don't know, we could get in a lot of trouble for this." Alana said nervously. "We could even get kicked out of the camp."

    "No way, we'll be careful." Jared said.

    "Alana's right, I don't want to get kicked out." Evan agreed.

    "Oh come on, we can stay out a little bit, right?" Zoe said, taking Evan's hand.

    Evan nearly melted, "Well, I guess."

    "Let's go!" Jared sprinted off towards the candy shop. He was lucky he brought his wallet with him everywhere, even when he didn't need it.

    Alana followed him while Evan and Zoe ran to a bookshop and Connor disappeared down the street.

   Jared went to the counter. "Can I have a bag of sour gummy worms, a thing of nerds, and a licorice rope-"

    "Jared, you're going to kill yourself with that much sugar." Alana said, coming up behind him.

    "One can only hope." Jared told her as the man behind the counter rang up his purchase. He bought them and turned to Alana, who was now looking at a box of chocolates.

    "Have someone to give those to?" Jared said, looking at the fancy chocolate.

    "Sadly, no." Alana smiled, setting the box back down.

    "Don't worry, me neither." Jared said. "At least I got my candy." He held up the bag.

    "You should try getting back out there." Alana encouraged. "You know, seeing other people."

    "I don't know if I'm ready." Jared shrugged.

    "Well apparently Connor's ready, that day he disappeared? Zoe said he was with some guy." Alana took the chocolates up to the counter.

    Jared felt himself go pale, "Another guy?" He asked, voice quiet. Was Connor really seeing someone else?

    "I don't know much about him honestly, but Zoe says Connor has been talking about him nonstop. What was his name..."

    Jared stood in the middle of the store, feeling like he was going to pass out. Connor, the person he once thought he was going to spend the rest of his life with, was moving on. Jared felt paralyzed. In that moment he knew, he knew that he was completely and utterly still in love with Connor.

    "Oh! I remember his name! Miguel!"