Chapter 8

On'li followed Javin into the empty Council room and took her usual seat at the round, stone table next to him. This early they were all but guaranteed some privacy in which to fine-tune their approach to the coming meeting.

"It's days like this that make me wish we didn't head up the Stephens bloodline. For all that sometimes I hated being out on circuit, it was a walk in the park compared to dealing with the Council."

Javin snorted. "We're too old for anything else."

"You're right. Too old, and Mar'li would be miserable out there among all of those strangers. She's never had the disposition to do field work. We're like pack gurra that are too old to carry anything so we've been retired back to just producing wool for the last few years of our lives."

Javin shrugged and turned back to business. "The boy isn't helping his case."

"You're right. He's all but begging to be the whipping boy for what happened to I'rone and the others. We'll have to be very careful to keep him away from the rest of the Council or we'll never have a shot at getting him through to his final vows. Of course if something like that hadn't left a mark he'd hardly be the kind of lad we'd be interested in getting sponsored again. Still, we'll have to manage him carefully. If he displays even a touch of arrogance or callousness over the next few months, it's done for."

"At least we can see to it he's not punished."

There was steel behind her husband's tone, but she knew how much it would cost him to lay out the arguments they'd spent the last day or so perfecting. He'd made enormous strides in the last thirty years, but at heart he was still the shy, retiring young man he'd been when they'd first met.

They sat in silence for several seconds as On'li absently leafed through Jasmin's journal. The document made a compelling case for having Va'del sponsored, but ultimately they couldn't use it to that end. After seeing I'rone and his wives cut down, it was all too likely that Va'del was going to experience some drastic personality shifts. She'd already detected a mind that was much more driven than what Jasmin described.

It was almost scary to think of sponsoring someone who could change so drastically over the next few years, but the boy held such potential. Spending more time inside his mind would increase her understanding of his character, but only at an increased risk of ruining him later on.

No person could endure the utter invasion of having someone they didn't trust inside their mind on an ongoing basis without eventually strengthening their reflexive defense to the point where it was simply too strong to overcome.

Javin rubbed slow circles on her back, sensing the serious bent of her thoughts.

"Things will work out."

"How can you be so sure? We're down to just three families in the bloodline now. That's got to affect my desire to sponsor the boy. On the other hand, the repercussions of sponsoring someone with his potential if he goes bad are almost unimaginable."

"It'll work out."

They passed the remaining half cycle before the others arrived in companionable silence, and then all too soon the other members of the Council began drifting in and taking their seats at the table. They all tended towards more experienced, if not downright old, but had very little physical similarities otherwise.

The men ranged from the impressive physiques of true warriors to the slender build of scholars or diplomats. The women were likewise disparate in form. Some of On'li's counterparts were even more fragile looking than she was while others were clearly eating far more than their share of the People's limited resources.

A'vril, currently serving as the Goddess' Heart, stood and took charge once the last pair had taken their seats.

"In my capacity as head of this Council, I call this session to order. The Arm will please seal the chamber."

A'vril's husband, Jas'on, nodded from the doorway and then swung a massive stone door, the only real door in the entire Capital, closed.

The Council ran through a number of minor items before A'vril opened the floor for discussion about Va'del.

Javin stood to be recognized, and then made his case. "With regard to the discipline of young Va'del, we, as the head of his bloodline, feel he was not directly responsible for the death of I'rone and his family."

Ja'dir jumped to his feet and pounded his well-manicured hands on the stone table. "I object to your assuming responsibility for this matter. This Va'del is clearly unsponsored, and consequently does not fall under the oversight of a specific bloodline. The question of whether or not his cowardice resulted in the death of three very promising members of the Guadel should be a matter for the Council as a whole to decide."

Javin looked at his colleague calmly, but On'li had known her husband long enough to know that he wanted nothing quite so much as to put Ja'dir in his place. "At the time of the incident, Va'del was sponsored by I'rone and his family. The decision is ours."

A'vril held up a hand for a second and then nodded. "Javin has the right of this. Ja'dir, you will quit trying to contest this matter and allow Javin to apprise the Council of his decision."

Nodding respectfully, Javin continued. "There is no indication that Va'del disobeyed a direct order. By his account, I'rone instructed him to protect Jasmin and Betreec, but naught was specifically said concerning his remaining with them. Additionally, there is nothing to indicate Va'del's having remained with the two wives would have saved them, and therefore there is no charge of negligence."

On'li rose to stand by her husband, looking around the circular room at each of the Councilors. "Before you ask, I've examined Va'del's mind and deception is not part of his nature; there is every reason to believe he's telling the truth regarding I'rone's commands to him."

Ja'dir shot On'li a venomous look and she wondered, not for the first time, how so many people, most of whom she sincerely believed were trying to do their best, could spend so much time arguing. Of course, he probably wouldn't be quite such a pompous fool if he didn't listen to the even bigger fools in his bloodline. Like Pa'tric.

"Additionally, Jasmin's journal was among the things Va'del brought back and she has nothing but praise for the young man. She indicated multiple times that he was earnest in his efforts to please I'rone's family and do as they asked. There is no doubt but that it is complete, and done in her handwriting. As for cowardice, before being ambushed by the human bandits, Va'del assisted I'rone in destroying a large group of bag'ligs. The boy dispatched two of the beasts himself."

A'vril nodded her appreciation for On'li's summary, and the older woman resumed her seat as Javin continued. "Based on this, Va'del will not be punished in any way."