Chapter 18

On'li shifted positions on her metal chair, convinced that the gurra wool pad that cushioned the hard steel had somehow grown thinner over the last two months.

Jo'sep and Garth, Master of Strategy and Master of the Guard respectively, were obviously uncomfortable with delivering their latest batch of bad news.

Jo'sep finished his report and waited for questions. Ja'dir was the first to start pointing fingers despite the fact that the fierce-looking Master of Strategy belonged to an allied bloodline.

"So what you're telling us is that an entire village was raided by these animals? That numerous people were killed, that a month's supply of food was taken, and nobody even considered that this might be a possibility?"

Garth looked for a moment as if he would lose his temper, but Jo'sep restrained him with a barely-noticeable gesture. "No, Councilor. What I'm telling you is that we considered the possibility, that it was pointed out to this body, but given our shortage of trained personnel it was decided that other areas were more likely to be attacked and therefore a higher priority."

Ja'dir looked as though he was about to say something characteristically cutting, but Va'ma stepped in to defend Jo'sep who was a member of his bloodline. "The decision to focus on protecting other vulnerabilities was made as much or more by the Council as it was by our Master of Strategy. Trying to assign blame at this juncture is pointless."

Ja'dir looked somewhat repentant, possibly realizing that he might be pushing his ally too far.

"Agreed, but we have to find a way to stop this from happening again."

A'vril nodded. "Of course, but as I understand the realities of the situation, we've already stripped the Capital and stronger villages nearly bare in an effort to cover the food shipments and help ensure that the Guadel walking circuit are more protected."

Ja'dir waved away the concern with a casualness that betrayed his almost complete lack of understanding. "So we pull the necessary men from somewhere else. The parties searching for the bandits' base of operations have been completely useless. Reduce the number and size of those groups."

This time it was Jo'sep who looked ready to lose his temper, but he was saved from saying something brash by the fact that Javin slammed his fist down on the gray stone table. "That's suicide. If we do that we completely give over the offensive and the bandits will be free to continue to pick targets of opportunity until they've completely wiped us out."

Jo'sep and Garth both shot Javin looks of gratitude, and Va'ma nodded. "He's right, finding those Powers-blasted bandits is our only hope of bringing this to a successful conclusion."

The argument raged for nearly half a cycle before On'li stood, and after being recognized by A'vril, began laying out a plan. They aren't going to like this. None of them are really going to like it, but it's the only way to come up with additional bodies who have even a chance of doing us some good.

##

Va'del was more than a little surprised when a messenger tracked him down and delivered a note requesting he come by On'li's rooms. Then again, nobody else has arrived at class yet today, not even the instructor, so something must be going on.

After stopping a number of people for directions, the teenager finally found himself standing before the appropriate corridor.

A clear 'come in' answered his questioning clap. Va'del entered to find On'li reading through a report.

"Please sit down."

"Yes, Guadel On'li."

"We need to talk."