Chapter 6

Her fingers were trembling slightly as she raised her hand to knock on the heavy wooden door. Whether it was because of nerves or excitement, she didn't know. 

But she had done it. There was no turning back. 

"Password?" a muffled voice called out. 

"O-original." 

A few heartbeats later, the door swung open noiselessly. She hesitated, looking around her to see if anyone had followed her. Like a newborn fawn, she tentatively stepped through the doorway. The faint smell of rose and linen wafted to her nose, just a hint of it.  

The room opened into a small foyer. Small hatches of holy light were scattered around, bathing the room in a soft warm glow. The white carpet under her feet felt downy and plush, as soft as her pillow. Cream-colored walls hugged the sides of the room, interrupted only by the expansive mahogany table in front of her. But what caught her eye the most were the glittering amber jewels sitting in a bowl on top of the table. Like a siren, they drew her unwittingly closer. 

The gems winked at her, its beauty making her gasp. She longed to touch it, to feel the smooth unblemished surface under her callused fingers, to pluck it up and see it from every angle.

"They're baltarines," said a voice behind her. 

She whipped around, cheeks aflame with embarrassment. "I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to..." 

Her voice trailed away when she got a good look at the angel in front of her. The description of him given to her by the others did not do him justice. 

Aquamarine eyes watched her with amusement from a strong, tan face. His hair was a mop of yellow that was carelessly pushed back. His wings were the color of blood and loomed behind him like an omen. He was large, more than a head or two taller than her.  He was not handsome in a traditional way but something about the way he stood and looked at her made her heart speed up. And he was old, much older than her--she could feel the power pouring off his body. 

"It's alright. I suppose you've never seen baltarines before?" His voice was not deep, instead, it was melodic and smooth. All seraphs had lovely voices but his made her want to do anything to please him. 

"No--they're beautiful."  

He stepped closer to her and she fought the urge to step back. Instead, he reached out his hand behind her, plucking up one of the shining jewels.  The gem looked minuscule in his wide hands. 

"You've heard of the Legend of Baltar, no?" She hadn't but he didn't wait for her reply. 

"Baltar was a seraph, much like myself. He was born more than eight hundred years ago but he began singing when he was no more than twenty years of age. His voice was so sweet and joyful that when God first heard him, he immediately appointed him as His personal singer. God was willing to give him anything on one condition: Baltar was never to fall in love. You see, love inevitably causes pain and a broken heart kills a seraph's voice. Baltar agreed and for many years, enjoyed all the privileges that came with being chosen by God. He should have been satisfied--after all, no seraph had ever reached his position before." 

There was a pregnant pause. She held her breath--stories like this never ended well. 

The angel rolled the gem between his fingers. "But four hundred years ago, Baltar fell in love with a human woman. She loved him back and for a while, it seemed that his voice became even lovelier. But humans have desperately short lives and soon she passed. Baltar, full of grief, lost his voice and his will to live. But he was immortal, unable to die, and thus, he languished for centuries. God took pity on him and gave him a quick death--scattering his body to the constellations. As for Baltar's tears, He turned them into these gems. And now, when you hold them up to the light..." 

The seraph snapped his fingers and holy light flamed in his hand. He held the gem up to it. The baltarine seemed to twinkle in the light. A soft hum grew in crescendo, and a voice rang with such clarity and joy that she blinked back tears. She had never been in love and didn't know if she ever would be. But the song moved something in her. 

He closed his hand around the jewel and the voice cut short. 

"There are only twenty baltarines in the world. I have six of them," he said before carefully placing the gem in the bowl. He turned to her. 

"Now, what did you come here for?" 

The abrupt change of topic made her start. She swallowed past the lump that had suddenly formed in her throat. "I've done it. The La'ziel has fallen into Hell." 

He nodded, his gaze never moving from her face. "I heard from my sources. Well done. It must have been difficult." 

It had been, in the beginning. But then she had thought of the cause and why they were doing it and her resolve had hardened. In the end, it was easy. 

She straightened. "I did what I had to do. And I'll do it again if that'll show my loyalty." 

He waved his hand. "No need. You have proved your loyalty to The Sect. You are one of us now." 

At that, relief blossomed like a flower inside her. She had finally done it. She was part of The Sect now. "What do you want me to do?" 

"The next part of our plan will be set in motion. For now, you don't need to do anything. The Sect will notify you when you are needed."  

And with that, she knew she was dismissed. She dipped her head towards him before backing out of the door.  

His last words echoed in her ears. Change was approaching and she would be one of the ones to bring it. 

She realized that she was shaking again but this time, she knew it was in excitement.