Chapter 4

Chapter 4:

After a couple of hotdogs and a few rides on the spinning teacups, I made the right decision of sitting down. Was I trying to make myself barf?

I had never been a big fan of roller coasters and adrenaline rushes, but I needed something to get my mind off of things; I over thought things way too much. What better way to stop your incessant brain than making yourself feel like you're going to barf up your organs?

The summer was definitely here. It was time for shorts, tank tops, flip flops, beaches, tanning, and boys. Somehow, the aroma of sand and salt water had blended in perfectly with heat. The Florida weather was getting the best of me; I was sweating!

Throughout my time at the carnival, I had received a handful of stares and whispers. My instincts about my grandmother were right: she was blabbering her mouth off about my return. I recognized a few faces, but they weren't people I was particular close to. Man, how people have changed! I guess a bit of growing goes a long way.

The carnival was pretty fun; it was just sad that I was enjoying it by myself. I was such a loner, but I took time in enjoying the view of the beach. It wasn't one of those gloomy, dull colored beaches; it was the type of beach you dream about with bright colors and an atmosphere of excitement. It was totally better than Lake Michigan.

After a break, I hoped on another ride. The first one that caught my eye was a rollercoaster. I walked and got in line. It wasn't so long, but it would be a little wait before I could get on.

"Hey, you're Gabby Heaton, right?" someone asked from behind me. I turned to face three tall boys. They were all muscular, which made me melt a little on the inside, wearing t-shirts, shorts, sandals, and all stood in a straight line. The one on the left had dark hair and eyes the color of seaweed. He flashed me a grin with his pearly white teeth.

The boy in the middle had brown eyes that seemed to swirl, and his lips seemed like they were sculpted to perfection. The boy on the right had light brown shaggy hair and was tanned. It was a sexy type of tan. He looked me up and down and bit his lip in a kind of creepy way, but I let it slide. They all seemed somewhat familiar. I was distracted by my own imagination of what they looked like with their shirts off, but then I realized one of them asked me a question.

"Yeah, that's me."

The boy in the middle spoke up. "Don't you remember us? It's Hayden, Dylan, and Scott. We used to go to school with you," Dylan said. I began to remember them more clearly. They were Luke's guy friends. Man, had they changed! They turned really...hot.

I attempted to be flirty. "Oh yeah, I remember you guys! You're friends with Luke, right?"

Their faces lit up and they nodded. "So how are you enjoying being back?" asked the kind of creepy guy, Scott. Dylan elbowed him in the stomach. "Dude, she's not enjoying being back. Her parents died here you idiot," he whispered, probably hoping I didn't hear him.

"I'm actually enjoying it," I lied. Dylan blushed a little when he noticed that I did hear him. "I mean, it's really weird being back here because of the accident and all, but I needed the get away from the city, you know? Besides, I missed the sunshine and everyone here." I rambled on. Whenever I got nervous, I talked a lot and really fast. Was I nervous?

We got to the front of the line, but the worker cut us off due to the lack of available seats. After making sure that everybody was safely in the coaster, the worker pressed a button and they zoomed off. A few seconds later, I heard them scream. I gulped.

"You don't like roller coasters?" Scott asked. The boy with the black hair, Hayden laughed. "I don't either." Dylan interrupted.

"It's okay. If you get scared, I'll protect you," he said slyly slipping his arm around my shoulders. I glanced at his arm around me. These boys were a little too welcoming. They were kind of sleazy. Not Hayden though, he seemed pretty decent.