Chapter One

The Powerful and Powerless 

In a world where everyone has powers Dan Howell lacks the ability to wow people. While that's at least until he meets Phil Lester who helps Dan discover his true identity. 

💢💢💢

Hazel eyes met with the school of extraordinary. Except Dan didn't feel extraordinary he felt left out from the rest of the school. His friends all had things that made them special from the others. Sighing, a frown glued to his lips he headed up the staircase to the school. "PJ, Chris, Louise" he nodded his head at them, smiling once he came close to them. "Hey Dan!" PJ greeted smiling brightly at the boy dressed in pure black. "This is Phil" Chris shot his head in the direction of the bright blue eyed boy. "Hi, I'm Phil" the boy smiled brightly showing a glint of his teeth as he introduced himself. "Dan," the curly haired boy chuckled, shaking Phil's hand. "What brings you to the school of extraordinary Phil?" Phil shrugged "I found out that after my 18th birthday I was destined to gain powers. I'm not sure what but my mom transferred me here. It's my first day here actually" Phil swept his fringe from his face as his face reddened from nervousness. "Welcome to the school. There are tons of people here with cool powers" Dan's face lit up in awe as he looked around him. He felt a bit jealous, PJ and Chris got their powers when they were 14 and Louise got hers when she was 15. Yet here he was useless in the most powerful city. He seemed to be the only one who stood out. His eyes shifted from a caramel color to an oak brown. He only got accepted into this school because his younger brother got Dan in with persuading the headmaster that Dan had great potential in such a widely known school. PJ snapped his thumb against his middle finger, the atmosphere around him, hitting a pause. "Dan? What's wrong?" PJ asked, stepping toward Dan a look of concern clouding the Italian boy's eyes.

"I just feel like I don't belong here PJ. Everyone here has something unique about them and I have nothing. It doesn't feel right to be at this school. I mean you gained powers when you and Chris turned 14 and Louise got hers at 15. I'm 18 PJ! I should have gotten something by now." Dan stepped away from PJ and sat on the school steps cradling his knees to his chest. "Dan," PJ spoke soft and sincere "just because we got to have our moment of fame doesn't mean you won't get yours. It takes time for powers to develop. It took me time believe it or not. I was 13 at the time and I was upset I tried everything to at least get a snippet of what I could conjure up. I thought maybe I could read minds or teleport. Everyday for the next year I trained myself for the unexpected. One day I felt stressed out about my old band and the practice failing drastically. My head hurt and my eyes closed. I felt like I was floating almost. When I opened my eyes I saw that my band mates were almost frozen, as if I managed to stop time. I understand that right now you feel useless but you're one of my best friends and that is your power. You can make the room light up with your jokes. It may not be a traditional power but I believe you just haven't discovered it yet." PJ gave Dan a quick hug before snapping his fingers as the world grew back to its chaotic self. People sat around chattering and smiling. "You'll be okay" PJ whispered to Dan giving him a thumbs up. "Yeah," Dan whispered heading into the building. 

*1st hour*

"Students before we start the lesson I'd like you all to say hello to our new student, Philip Lester" Phil waved at the students mumbling a quick hello before sitting beside PJ. "So, Phil what powers do you have?" PJ whispered leaning towards the other blue eyed boy. "Mind reading" Phil whispered back laughing "cool, what am I thinking?" Chris whispered leaning over PJ's desk. "When's lunch time? I'm bored, kinda wish it was free period" Phil answered smiling at Chris. "Yes. All true." He laughed out loud. The teacher glared at Chris "Mr. Kendall will you-" Chris mimicked the teacher mouthing something quietly "Mr. Kendall will you please come up and tell the class why I hate children- wait a minute." Chris continued to mouth something quietly "Class is dismissed!" The teacher shouted, clasping her hands together. "But Mrs. Lancaster we still have 45 minutes!" A student in the back exclaimed "oh well" she smiled "shoo, shoo" she rushed everyone out of the room. Chris finally spoke "so Phil, PJ, we got a free period. What shall we do?" He grinned. "Chris you heathen, you spelled Mrs. Lancaster" PJ tsked before laughing lightly. 

"So where to boys" Chris asked, smirking at the victory of his win. "Remember when you shapeshifted into places to get free stuff" Chris reminisced laughing at the memories. "No, I'm not going to shape shift, Chris" PJ shook his head. "You can shape shift?" Phil asked in awe of the moment. "I can also freeze time and disappear when easily spooked." PJ shrugged smiling "so you're some type of shapeshifting, ghost timelord?" Phil's mouth gaped open in surprise. "In a way yes" PJ nodded as the three boys continued walking. 

"What can you do Chris?" Phil tilted his head analyzing Chris. His eyes wide and sparking a violet color. "Well, I can alter people's minds, like thoughts and their words. I can also teleport." Chris shrugged "it's nothing much" Phil nodded as his eyes changed to his normal bluey green color. "And you?" Chris asked, raising an eyebrow grinning. "I can read people's minds and my eyes change to the color of my mood." Phil giggled at PJ and Chris's reactions. "I've never heard of someone having a power like that?" PJ sighed in jealousy "wait so what emotion are you right now? How does it work?" The boy's questions flooded Phil. 

"PJ, Chris, I don't know" Phil laughed. "I just recently got these powers, I turned 18 like a month ago, so I don't know how this works" Phil shrugged giggling. "Louise or Hazel might know," PJ told Chris and Phil. "What are we waiting for, let's go" Chris nodded before teleporting away. The other two walked to go meet up with Hazel. 

*2nd hour* 

"Dan?" Hazel waved her hand in front of the boy. "W-what?" He asked as he turned his attention towards her. "What is it?" She asked examining him for injuries. "My wrist hurts, it's stinging" Dan hissed trying to rub at his wrist. "Dan, don't panic, but your eyes are black, like midnight black" Dan began to shake "wait there has to be a reason. Do you have your bracelet on?" Dan nodded closing his eyes "of course, I always have it on Hazel!" Dan shouted before covering his mouth "I'm so sorry Hazel, I-I don't know what's happening." Hazel nodded "check your bracelet" she pointed to the obsidian bracelet on his wrist. "It's a mood changing bracelet" Hazel explained "what?" Dan shook his head, his eyes turning red "it couldn't be" he told her trying to reassure himself. "Your bracelet, look Dan, it's red. Your eyes are blood red too." Hazel stared into his eyes. Chris ran towards the two "Dan! Your eyes!" He exclaimed "what about them?" Dan asked as he shook like a leaf. 

"The reaction is caused when he's in touch with another person who has powers. He takes on having the powers of the person he was last with." PJ explained sitting down to catch his breath from running. "What?" Dan and Hazel exclaimed at the same time. "No wait! I get it!" Chris looked from Dan to Phil. "When Dan and Phil shook hands the electromagnetic shock waves that were emitted from Phil went to Dan-" PJ shook his head "how-" Chris put a finger up and continued talking. "It came off as a little shock, like when you rub à balloon on your head right?" He asked Dan and Phil. "Yes" they both replied in unison. "Okay, that charged up the power in your bracelet Dan" Chris concluded as he began to pace to think. "Then Phil transferred half of his powers to you. Phil think of something that makes you happy" Phil closed his eyes a small smile melting on his face as he thought about puppies. He opened his eyes again to reveal violet eyes. Dan gasped before his wrist started to burn like a thousand suns. The bracelet turned purple and Dan looked up at Phil then down at his bracelet. "No way" he shook his head as his eyes began to shift to match Phil's violet ones. 

"Dan, may I borrow your bracelet? I want to test something." PJ asked, holding out his hand. "Yeah, go ahead" Dan unchained his bracelet handing it to PJ who clipped it on his own wrist. "Phil can you come over here please?" Phil nodded, stepping in front of PJ. "Hi I'm Phil" the now blue eyed boy stuck out his hand "I'm PJ" the other boy replied shaking his hand. Waiting PJ hoped for a reaction but alas nothing. "Dan, you got powers," PJ grinned, handing back Dan's bracelet.